Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Then the engine and transmission from the 1984 500 SE are removed. Thru this winter it will be installed in my 1982 380 SEC after replacing timing chain parts

And as far as both cars are from the pre facelift-period it should be a relatively easy swap. But some difference it has to be, is there any typical differences I should be aware of?

Observed that the 84 500 SE had ABS-brakes, I guess it doesnt matter when it comes to engine differences

A picture of the engine (Bay) from a shopmanual or other sources with arroves poniting to most parts telling what it is would have been great

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get all the different electronics too ?
Thats the main point, before 1986, in the pre facelift period, the electronics and wires were quite similar or almost identical. So it should be quite easy to do a engine swap in w126s (380/500) from this period. What electronics do you mean that was different?

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,444 Posts
Did this to my son's '83 380SEL.

Get the ignition box from the fender behind the driver's side (left) headlight. Also, in the US, we have that dumb single exhaust with the driver's side exhaust going up and over the transmission to join in to the passenger's side exhaust. The 5.0L engine is about two inches wider and I had to make an adapter to lengthen the crossover pipe. This would be a good time to go to dual exhaust using Euro logs!! We used the 5.0L transmission so there was no question about compatibility there. Motor and tranny mounts were direct swaps.

Otherwise this was a surprisingly simple swap. A big hill on the highway here in Vegas that he could barely get over with the throttle pedal floored using the 3.8L engine turned out to be a nothing hill with the 5L. That extra 100 HP was quite appreciated.

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kickdown relay on the 380 SEC has 5950 rpm as limit and the ignition box with P/N 0227100042 is the same for both 82 380 and 84 500. Picture attached.

5950 rpm too high limit for a 500-engine?

Attachments

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,543 Posts
Never heard of such low rpm limits, that seems mental. 5300 or 5500. Would that just be the US versions or something? How boring must the performance be.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,659 Posts
Mercedes cars of this era were high compression with no smog components or catalytic converters in European tune .

To comply with USA emissions rules and low octane fuel Mercedes had to reduce compression ratio , detune and lower rpm , add cats, smog pumps , restrictive exhaust and manifolds . It was a sad time . USA Mercedes cars made 50-75 hp less than euro tuned cars. That’s why we all go crazy over euros , it’s not just for the slim bumpers

Fortunately by the early 90s Mercedes made cars tuned to Meet emissions standard worldwide with the m119 engine so there wasn’t such a ridiculous difference

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,543 Posts
Yeah all those things I was aware of, and fuel quality necessitating it. Just not this massive rev limitation thing. They must feel so wooden and silly without the redline gear changes where needed.

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Today the engine bay in the 380 SEC was examined and it was obvious that the 380-engine didnt have oil cooler. Red in another thread that the O/C isnt completely necessary in a 500 or 560 either . The fan and cooling fluid keeps the temp in acceptable levels.

Is it just to remove the O/C system or is it other factors that are important in such a modification?

It looks like there is much simpler to skip the O/C system when installing the 500-engine in the 380 SEC that use it

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the "new" 500 engine has the oil cooler. Here in Norway its not very hot weather, thats another reason to skip it

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Googling in a couple of hours didnt help, info about these arrowed parts of the oil cooling system wasnt easy to find. Also info how it works wasnt easy accessible. I guess the orange arrow pointing a kind of tank, what kind of tank?

The main unit with a green arrow pointing to it must be a kind of pump, but what the exact part name?

Info or links would be great

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 380SEC, 2014 ML350 4Matic
53 Posts
Hei Harstadværing! My 380 redline is 5500, US version. Are you sure it’s worth messing with? In the US you would be better off selling your 380 and buy a 500 or 560. Or a 420, if you want to stick with a 116.

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello american :smile

No trouble, I look forward to work with the 500-engine. Look how it works and is assembled. As well known from before, an easy to read shop manual for w126 isnt easy to get

My last post was posted caused by my curiosity; I want to know how this optional oil cooling system works, in spite that it will be removed from the 500-engine soon

1 - 20 of 42 Posts