Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Engine swap? 1999 SL500

18K views 52 replies 18 participants last post by  AnySL4me 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
Just wondering as I have come across a good offer for an M119 6.0 AMG engine with transmission, diffs and ECU.

Would it be possible to swap out my M113 with that engine?
What about the transmission? Diffs?
What other ECU modules are required?

Lots of questions...

#3 ·
You should check on driveshaft differences. Also check part numbers for struts between the two cars to see if you need to change those over. Depending on lengths/positions etc, the tranny linkages might be different too. Are they both R129s and of the same year? If not you should consider switching all underhood wiring harnesses/starter/alternator too. Motor mounts and locations?

#5 ·
Also, just read this on the most current Facebook post for the Benz buy and sell group:

Someone help?

I have a 1985 380se that was swapped with the 5.0 v8 from the previous 3.8 liter. It runs fine. But the radiator fan doesn’t spin and at idle she overheats and the coolant just spilled out all at once. I don’t even know where to begin but could someone give me some pointers?

Answer that was posted:
You have to get a dual electric fan set up

Something else to consider.

#6 ·
Crazy if you do it

Why re-invent the wheel, someone at the factory already did it.

Sell your 500 and buy a 600, and you will be driving all the time.

Start the swap project and you'll be off line for a long time, get frustrated, and wondering why you just didnt buy a 600 to begin with.

M113 motors are basically bulletproof and cheap to maintain, not so much with the V12's.

Other than the wow factor, the 600 wont be that much more quicker, (if at all), or handle as well.

Good Luck, what ever you decide to do

#7 ·
Why re-invent the wheel, someone at the factory already did it.

Sell your 500 and buy a 600, and you will be driving all the time.

Start the swap project and you'll be off line for a long time, get frustrated, and wondering why you just didnt buy a 600 to begin with.

M113 motors are basically bulletproof and cheap to maintain, not so much with the V12's.

Other than the wow factor, the 600 wont be that much more quicker, (if at all), or handle as well.

Good Luck, what ever you decide to do
Geez I gotta chime in on this> I have a 3 R129's and no way can the SL320 OR SL500 come close to the SL600 V12, for speed I've read where others have said they aint no quicker but I doubt they ever drove a V12.:devil

#16 ·
M120, first or preferably second gen is the way to go for anyone having the itch to experience V12 ownership. They are the most reliable V12s, by a mile, more so than some other lesser cylinder count engines.
I personally loathe the older, four speed automatic trans, prefer the next generation five speed that came out 96.
As for the OP’s question, it would be possible, but then again, why?? Sometimes in life you should consider, “just because you can, you probably shouldn’t “
The car you have, only is the same in terms of body, EVERYTHING else is different in terms of engine, harnesses, engine management, etc. compared to the one with an M119.
If you do feel like you want to build an SL with a 6.0,M119, get the engine first. The generation of that will determine what year car you can drop that into. ‘90-‘92, ‘93-‘95, or ‘96-‘98.

#17 ·
Just wanted to install an AMG block in the car.

Question, are there any differences in the M113 5.5 liter engines that went into these cars back in 1999 and 2000?
I mean, is it just the engine plenum that's different.

R129 SL55 engine is the same as the one that went into the W208 CLK55 and W210 E55 ones?

Here's the engine from the SL55 AMG

And here's the engine from a CLK55 AMG

#18 · (Edited)
Just wanted to install an AMG block in the car.

Question, are there any differences in the M113 5.5 liter engines that went into these cars back in 1999 and 2000?
I mean, is it just the engine plenum that's different.

R129 SL55 engine is the same as the one that went into the W208 CLK55 and W210 E55 ones?
Hi Ahmed.
Dependant of the chassis, the engines are different in details.
I have put some information to that into the german wiki:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M_113
Since MB has not documented the 113.985 in EPC, the differences in detail can only be guessed.

Cheers, Frank

(PS: The SL 55 has also a different transmission program and rear diff.)

#20 ·
I say, if you have the means and talent to pull this off, go for it!

You can figure out the details as you go, as long as there is no artificial deadline, and your commitment is 100%.

It aint gonna be easy, and there will be failures (learning moments) along the way.

I believe member Roncallo has commented on this thread. If I am not remembering correctly, he shoe-horned a M120 into a R107, and included the transmission, redesigned suspension, diff carrier, speed sensor mounts, the entire works!

If you are not familiar with his project, navigate to the 107 forum and google "Samson", or contact Roncallo directly.

Good Luck!

#23 ·
I would swap in a M113 5.5 non supercharged engine. Its plug and play.
I did it last year on my 99 SL500. I have been meaning to put up a post to show others how easy and rewarding this swap is.
I sourced an engine from a wrecked 2001 ML55 for cheap, the engine from any of the non supercharged 55 cars will work though.
The oil pans and oil pump had to be swapped from the original engine and I believe the front cover.
Everything else like the exhaust, transmission and all the electrical was the same.
The standard ECU from the 500 runs the engine quite fine with no issues. Someday I may get a tune put in it to see what else I could gain.
If you go to the 202 forums you will see lots of guys swapping 55 engines in their C43's and using the stock ECU's.

Speaking of gains, The difference is very noticeable. The car should have 40-50 more HP and about the same gain in the TQ dept.
Off the line acceleration is brisker and the highway passing power is much stronger.

If anyone has questions drop me a line. I did the entire swap myself so I may be able to give some pointers, but its pretty easy.
I guess I have one of the first homemade SL55's ... lol
Cheers

#29 ·
Basically, the first batch of M113 naturally aspirated AMG engines built after chrysler jumped on board.

These engines came on the CLK55, E55, SLK55, S55 and CL55

Anything between 1999 to 2004 I'm guessing for several models.

As long as the engine is not an M113K

#34 ·
I'm out of town but just got an update from my mechanic. Car is running fine, they're testing coolant and oil pressures and keeping an eye on the air fuel ratio.

All seems to be fine on stock ECU

#35 ·
Took delivery of the car last night.
I am shocked, the new engine is so smooth, throttle response is much more energetic and I love the new torque.

I will post up a complete video review and more info on the swap parts used.

#43 ·
I keep an eye out for these engines as well. Would only do it if something catastrophic happened to mine and (for some reason) I didn't want to just buy another vehicle. Found that you can buy the M113 5.5L from the factory...for $62,480!