Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, hoping you can help me out

my 2001 e320 (uk car) is making a very loud metalic ticking noise, not like lifters 'clinking', much worse. i have isolated the noise to number 3 inlet cam lobe area, now i want to investigate further by removing the cams

i'm a fairly competant amature mechanic but would still like to mull over a guide before i go balls deep! so can anyone give me some pointers?

thanks in advance
tom

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Tom,

We had a very similar problem few weeks ago with another car and as it was diagnosed, it was some sort of blocked oil tube to a lifter. If you hear ticking sound, most probably its a lifter ...

I would like to suggest to use engine flush which maybe a relif before you end up to go deeper in this. Hate to use it, therefore I change my oil frequently to avoid this kind of problems. See also this thread and post if yours is very similar to it. You can alway go back to taking the cams out, but I wouldn't untill I have exhausted any other remedies.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1666543-metal-knocking-sound-engine-97-e420.html

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Tom,

We had a very similar problem few weeks ago with another car and as it was diagnosed, it was some sort of blocked oil tube to a lifter. If you hear ticking sound, most probably its a lifter ...

I would like to suggest to use engine flush which maybe a relif before you end up to go deeper in this. Hate to use it, therefore I change my oil frequently to avoid this kind of problems. See also this thread and post if yours is very similar to it. You can alway go back to taking the cams out, but I wouldn't untill I have exhausted any other remedies.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1666543-metal-knocking-sound-engine-97-e420.html
Unfortunately, it's a completely different engine and design. No oil tube issue on the M112/113 variants. Nothing wrong with trying an engine flush, though.

To the OP...there are all kinds of gotchas, though. I'd suggest paying for a subscription to alldata or EPC/WIS and downloading everything about this project. The meager sum for the information will give you everything you need to know about doing this job, including whether you want to dive into it. ;)
Also, please take a minute to click user cp and edit details to add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's often useful information when you're seeking assistance.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts