Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1980 240D A/T
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day!

I am the proud owner of a 1980 MB 240D a/t.

Can someone please tell me what the approxamite engine speeds will be at 100 km/h and 120km/h ??

Thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
In 4th gear, with stock tyres and stock differential:

100 km/h = 3300-3600 rpm
120 km/h = 4000-4300 rpm

Depends a bit on how good your torque converter still performs and whether you are accelerating or driving at constant speed.

·
Registered
1980 240D A/T
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be on a level highway - not accelerating. So, 120km/h may be a bit high, considering the age of the vehicle???

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
It can handle 120 km/h without problems, as long as the engine is properly warmed up and properly maintained (valve adjusted, regular oil & filter changes, diesel injection system in good order). It is designed to go long distances at high speed. It is a question of preference, you also might want to consider oil and fuel consumption, they tend to increase at higher speeds. Of course piston speed increases, which puts more stress on them, but again, the engine has been designed to go at 4000-4500 rpm.

Maximum speed is about 138 km/h for an automatic. The engine is at 4500 rpm at that speed. If you push it, it can go a bit faster, maybe up to 5000 rpm, but I wouldn't recommend that, not for prolonged periods.

Don't forget the speedometer is usually a bit optimistic, check the speedometer with a GPS thingy.

It helps if you push the engine to its limits once in a while, it burns away carbon deposits that build up when you just go at low speeds all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts