Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Over the last fortnight an orange engine warning symbol appeared on my 2005 280 slk. On taking it to my local garage (not "authorised" Mercedes) they diagnosed the problem to be erosion of the engine shaft. The cost of reparing this would run into the thousands, primarily due to the inaccesability of the part.

They advised that this was a common problem for my particular engine and I have since corroborated this from a technical bulletion that was posted on these forums.

I have also read on these forums that a Mercedes driver from Australia, with a vehicle approximately the same age as mine, succesfully had these repairs done for free after complaining to Mercedes Head Office in Stuttgart.

My intention was to take my vehicle to an approved Mercedes dealer this week and request that they review my case.

I was wondering if any of you have had similar experiences and have any advice on how to approach this matter? I'm concerned that as I have no relationship with the approved Mercedes dealer (due to buying and servicing the car locally) that this will go against me.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

PS. I'm based in the U.K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a good idea to me. Approach the matter calmly and see what happens, especially since there is an SB on the matter.

Also, visit our R171 forum.
Thanks, I'll pay that forum a visit.

Should clarify that it's the "balance shaft" I need replaced, not the engine shaft as I've previously stated (I assume there's a difference!).

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts