Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had my 108d (1999) van off the road for a few days while I changed the gear shift cables. On starting up the engine I was unable to stop it when I removed the ignition key. The only way to stop it was to put it in gear and stall the engine.
Any thoughts would be helpfull.

Dekay

·
Registered
68 Posts
i think it may be bad news - it sounds like the engine is running on its own oil!! bizarre as it sounds it fairly common on higher mileage vehicles with worn engines. Eventually it will eat all its own oil and then suffer oil starvation and die!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! :eek:
hopefully someone else will have a better answer!

·
Registered
142 Posts
If the engine was idling then your not using the oil as fuel. If it is idling i'd guess the voltage to the ECM/stop solenoid isn't being cut. If you haven't run it since changing the cables you may well have disturbed something.

Ugly

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have just had my 108d (1999) van off the road for a few days while I changed the gear shift cables. On starting up the engine I was unable to stop it when I removed the ignition key. The only way to stop it was to put it in gear and stall the engine.
Any thoughts would be helpfull.

Dekay
easy one that u have a air leak u will av knocked one of the pipes under the bonnet hard plastic rubber ends !:thumbsup:

no solenoids, ecm or electricery on 108d works on vacuum

·
Registered
80 Posts
if it was running on it's own oil (also referred to as a 'runaway diesel'), you'd know about it.... and trust me, i had this happen on an old vw t4 van - you don't want this happening!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. It was a vacuum pipe on the servo that have come off.
Re high milage and worn engines mine has only done 173000miles. Still runing it in.

dekay

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks guys. It was a vacuum pipe on the servo that have come off.
Re high milage and worn engines mine has only done 173000miles. Still runing it in.

dekay
lol tho rt as much easily done glad ur back to normal mate with that bomb proof
engine :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts