Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everybody,

I've a S600 1995, imported it from Japan a few months ago. Has only 66k KM on it. Last week my island (Curacao) was hit by heavy rains from hurricane Tomas. All the streets near my house were flooded and still almost a week after some roads are still flooded.
This Saturday I was caught in a heavy rain and just managed to get home. When i tried to drive it again, my engine started normal, but when I put the gear selector in drive, the car didn't want to go forward. Check handbrake, that was off, tried to put in 4-3-2-1, but no luck. I figured it was still a bit wet so I let it dry for a few hours.
Started the car again, this time it did drive. Unfortunately after about 500 meters, I went trough a puddle and a few moments later, the car was as-if in Neutral again. After waiting a few minutes I tried re-starting the car, I was able to safely bring the car home again.
Now after 2 days of letting the car dry (did rain again this morning) I tried it again, same problems after going trough a puddle.

Does anyone have an idea what this might cause. As said I live on a small island with not so much good mechanics, some even refuse MB, since they don't understand it.

Thanx in advance

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
I guessing here...

You might have got a water intrusion from the transmission vent. A black round plastic cap about 4cm x 1.5 cm. Located near the center at the top of the transmission since you lost most of all the gears.

Here is a interesting thread from a radiator rupture contamination, but all the physical symptoms may be present with your W140...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1544807-my-transmission-done-coolant-transmission-mix.html

To give you blow by blow problem recipe solution download the master.pdf document. Look at post No.2

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1545694-transmission-takes-time-shift-into-4th.html#post4361544

Best of luck,

Martin

·
Registered
W140-S 320-1995
69 Posts
Suggested that the change of all oils, cleaning the car from dust and impurities by car after the rain.

As well as the transmission needs inspection and cleaning.

This is what I have ^ _ ^

Good luck

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,669 Posts
im very sorry to hear what happened, first you should have drained atf from your tranny, then let the entire car dry for a few days. you dont want the water mixing inside the transmission, that will cause all the orings to bloat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts