1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mb 300ce
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new on this forum, my name is Mathias and i am from Sweden. [:)]

I have a mb 300 ce -90 that i am working on.
My plans before the summer is that I would like to replace my straight 6 engine to a v8 engine.
So if anyone could help me clarify the differences between my mercedes and a mb E500/500E 91-95.

/m

·
Registered
W124.036 / W210.074
248 Posts
Hi!

500`s are build in Cooperation with Porsche.
The Difference between normal w124`s and 500`s are in the technical layout.
500 Have a Suspension from SL, also the Gear String(i think!?) To replace the 3.0l through a 5.0l, you need to mod the Whole Engine-Compartment the V8 is heavier than the Straight Sixer.You need also a new Gear String! The Modifiction from 300E to 500E is more expensiv than to buy a used 500E i think!

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Putting a different engine in a car is not as easy as it used to be. Besides the engine, a whole lot would need to be swapped out... wiring harness, suspension, exhaust, electronic control unit. I'm not sure if the transmission would need to be changed. I imagine just the electricals (wiring, computers, sensors) would be a nightmare.

It's easier to just sell your car and buy a 500E and fix whatever shortcomings the next car would have.

·
Registered
mb 300ce
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, but I would like to have a 500ce, I think the coupe is one of the most beatiful cars mercedes have ever built, but it misses the v8 engine.

I have talked to mercedes in sweden but they aren´t so helpful with my task.

Does anyone know if it is any differences between my 4-speed automatic gearbox and with the one in the e500?

I have already modified the outside with e500 fenders so it would be nice with the same engine.

/m

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I don't think you understand. You see the problem is that the engine compartment has to be modified to accomodate the V8. Then you need a new tranny and differential gearbox to mate to the V8 which will not be able to fit into the drive tunnel of the 300E. The tunnel has to be widened especially near the firewall.

But if you succeed I would love to see it! It would be awesome. Good Luck!

·
Registered
W124.036 / W210.074
248 Posts
Anyway, itis not impossible, its only a hell of a Job!
But i have Seen CE with 400 and 420E Engines.But they have large modifications iin the engine compartment and so on.

If you want a Power Coupe, get the "Hammer" ![:D]

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
MBZ 400E and 500E have the same 701 Transmission.
It is much easier to find a donor 400E or a 500SL
than a 500E. From what I know, The trans. is beefed up significantly. Remember this unit also sees duty in the S-class. Also V8 and V12 autobox in S-class is the same basic unit. Like the others have said, this transplant will require modification to the firewall and motor mounts. V8 spec. coil springs will also need to be used. I would contact Brabus in Germany
and see if they can share a little wealth of knowlege.
They have been putting V8's in C class, E class, and SLK's for a long time. AMG(Mercedes) will not share
anything (Im sure) Good Luck. This can be done with lots of time and money and also careful planning.

·
Registered
Benz 260E and others
349 Posts
It would be much easier and much cheaper to modify the body of an E500 to make it look like a 300ce than modyfying your 300ce to perform like an E500.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Jackd - 2/1/2005 8:35 PM

It would be much easier and much cheaper to modify the body of an E500 to make it look like a 300ce than modyfying your 300ce to perform like an E500.
You are sooooo right! I never thought of that.

·
Registered
E36 AMG 1995
123 Posts
Mathias,
You can get an E36 AMG coupe in Sweden and although it won't be quite up to 500E power it will probably fit most of your requirements. Most E36's were supplied with lots of options and are therefore well equipped cars. They came with sportline suspension as standard and the uprated brakes from the E500/S600.

The engines are 6 cylinder 272bhp. They are rare cars but parts are not difficult to obtain . I would think you could find a well maintained one for about £10,000 ( uk pounds)

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6
99 Posts
That looks like one of the newer, 3-valve/cyl V8's, as opposed to the 4-valve/cyl which I believe was used in the original 500e

Still, a very nice install. Too bad he didn't give a plug for the folks who did it on his page.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts