Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1973 W115 200 /8
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi.
I want to remove my engine. Of many reasons. (welding, rust-removal, cleaning and repainting)

I've just dismantled the intake and exhaust-manifold... Phu !! A real pain to remove that s**t ..

As you can see, there's another support for the steering under the exhaust-pipes.. And there's a special bracket down between the starter, manifold and enginemounting.. As you can see here...
There are two bolt going into the starter, two nuts on the enginemount, and one big bolt hanging from the underside of the manifold itself. And both bolts on the starter, both enginemonut-nuts and the big bolt had to be removed to give the manifold enough room to get out..

I wasn't sure if I did this the correct way, bacause I thought I could take out the engine together with the gearbox.. But as I now have disassembled the manifold... It seems like it could be easier to remove the engine seperatly, as the exhausmanifold (where I had to brake all the 6 nuts in half) maybee could go right over the steering support.. ...
Anyone got any hints or tips for me here ?

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
Remove the engine and trans as a unit. Make sure you drain all the oil, expecially the auto trans (if it is). Take out the radiator, disconnect all the wires, pipes and hoses and take it out. Use one of those equalizing crank devices, not sure what it's called, to tilt the engine.

What Model is it, a W114 200 or 220?

·
Registered
1973 W115 200 /8
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehe.. It's a 115.. A 200 .. With manual transmission..
Radiator, hoses, wires are almost done.. (Only the oilpressurehose & temp-sensor-wire left.)
The manifolds are also out as you can see...
Will also have to temporary remove the battery-tray, since I'm goin to replace the left inner fender..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts