Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320 300k, 1999 ml320 160k, 2000 ml320 150k, 1992 ford explorer 400+k
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, can you rebuild the engine without taking the block out of the car.???
My son blew the engine, there is oil all over the place in the alternator area.
Any suggestions .
Can anybody point me to an engine replacement or rebuild thread.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
253 Posts
Guys, can you rebuild the engine without taking the block out of the car.???
My son blew the engine, there is oil all over the place in the alternator area.
Any suggestions .
Can anybody point me to an engine replacement or rebuild thread.
Do a compression test or leakdown test. You need to verify the actual problem.It could be a head gasket or valve. If you're real lucky maybe it's just a bad valve cover gasket.However, if you can see the connecting rod you're SOL.

A used motor may be a better option than rebuilding it.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
If you have to swap motors it would be a cool project if you swapped it with an AMG motor.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
The key question is did the engine make metal when it failed? If there is piston/bearing/rod or other damage that sheds metal fragments then the block will need to be out to remove all traces of metal from the oil galleries etc.
If its just blown an oil seal, while it might be a mess its easy enough to repair in the car. Check the oil level to be sure it wan't run dry when the boy kept it running long enough to get it home.

None of my business, but "My son blew the engine" is dangerous ground. Unless he was doing something to cause the failure, he was just the guy in the guy in the left seat when the engine failed. Blaming him for what happened? First be sure he actually caused it to happen.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is not worth it, the car has 350k and it is being driving by a teeneger

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I told him several times that before going to take a long trip he should check the oil, tire pressure and antifreeze level and he didn't do it, also I know those cars very well and I love them, they will give you a warning if something goes wrong, they just decided to keep driving instead of stoping and check. Pretty simple when I got to the place they stopped, I poured some water in the reservoir and it was coming all over the radiator joints, which means that he run the car without coolant and over heat causing the head gasket to be blown. I hope is only the head gasket

1 - 10 of 10 Posts