Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E 320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got a 1999 E 320 sedan that has been sitting for 3 weeks. I went outside yesterday to start it since its so cold. When I tried to start it it cranked over and then stopped so I tried it again same thing. I tried once more it started but then the engine started to shake and it sounded like all the piston was not moving. So I figured it was time for a tune up since I haven't had one. I changed all 12 spark plugs tried it again same thing cranks over then stops, and then engine shakes for awhile then stops.

Any advice on what it is or could be? Its funny because I just paid it off 2 weeks ago!!!!LOL

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
have you tried to jump start the battery? after sitting for 3 weeks in freezing temperatures battery would be my first suspect. do you have any error codes?

·
Registered
1999 E 320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the battery charged already. I dont have one of the check engine meters, how much are they?

·
Registered
1999 E 320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked my oil level its between max and min. would that have something to do with it? If the oil level is low will the engine shut off?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Oil level is fine. Your problem description is not. :)

Does the engine actually starts and runs rough for some some before it dies or what? Is the CEL on?

Best would be to read the codes and post them here.

·
Registered
1999 E 320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, yes it starts up like regular but after 2-3 seconds it stops. But if it does stay on after that 2-3 seconds that's when it starts shacking and putting. I will have to buy a CEL Reader?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Ok, yes it starts up like regular but after 2-3 seconds it stops. But if it does stay on after that 2-3 seconds that's when it starts shacking and putting. I will have to buy a CEL Reader?
Just a thought, but have you pulled the intake plumbing? Critters sometimes like to nest. Check the tailpipes, too, same issue.

Other than that, check for vacuum leaks, it's possible something cracked from the cold. It would be a large leak, though.

Re codes, you can buy a reader at auto stores or even Wal-Mart, etc. Cheaper on line ($40 at amazon) but you have to wait for it to come. Or you can have it towed to a shop.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
sounds like a fuel delivery problem. has the fuel filter ever been changed? i would suspect more on the filter than the pump because usually if the pump is bad it wouldn't start at all, but it will start with a dirty filter and die quickly. fuel filter is cheap and easy to replace.
is your check engine light on?

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
than first thing you need to do is check for codes. go to your local autozone and ask them to borrow their code reader. you might have to pay for it, and when you return it they will reimburse you so better bring some cash.

·
Registered
1999 E 320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I got the codes:

P0110 IAT sensor circuit Malfunction
P0100 MAF or VAF a circuit malfunction

So what you guys think, what do these codes mean?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,698 Posts
Ok I got the codes:

P0110 IAT sensor circuit Malfunction
P0100 MAF or VAF a circuit malfunction

So what you guys think, what do these codes mean?
Check connector at MAF for corrosion and proper plugin with audible click.

·
Registered
1999 E 320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there some kind of safety device in the car that keeps the car from starting if something wrong?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,680 Posts
This computer with wheels you have has several self-preserving features like shut off on overheating. Still your problem sounds like engine management problem. One way to test MAF is to unplug it and see if the car will run in default mode.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,698 Posts
Is there some kind of safety device in the car that keeps the car from starting if something wrong?
No there is not. But your engine computer is missing most basic input which is air flow and intake air temp. Without that it cannot compute injection time. To prevent excessive emissions and catalytic converter damage it always errs on lean side. In cold climate that results in very poor running. But it's better then bellowing tons of black smoke.

Have you checked MAF connector?

·
Registered
1999 E 320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok today I got it to stay started. But still problems, it starts up and after the engine ideal its self and if I put my foot on the gas the engine will stutter and shake and some time stops. And some times when I put my foot on the gas its no horsepower, its like the engine its not getting the signal. And puffs of smoke will come out the tail pipe.

P.S what do it mean when the cel blinks? It just started that!!!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
1. Did you unplug the MAF and check/clean the connection?????

2. See No. 1.

3. Did you open and inspect the intake plumbing?

4. Follow the MAF wire back into the harness and follow the harness to check for damage/chafing, etc. Vermin sometimes chew on wires.

5. No point in continuing to start it and report symptoms, you're likely to make it worse. Work the problem, don't exacerbate it.

6. Typical forum decorum suggests that when you post an issue and people ask questions and provide suggestions, that you respond to them in kind, preferably with specific details. Otherwise you're likely to alienate the people who are trying to do nothing more than help you out. You're also wasting your time, since no one knows what you've actually tried, etc. This forum isn't a Harry Potter wand that you can just post a question and we can magically provide the answer (well, most of the time, anyway). It's give and take, suggestion and feedback and if you don't do your part, ours is useless.

·
Registered
1999 E 320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
SORRY, I tried everything you guys suggested!!!!

1.Checked MAF cleaned the connectors only(have not taken it apart yet)
2.I took apart the plumbing. Some leaves not a lot thou.
3.I followed the wire back to the harness its fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts