Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a survey - how often do you guys pull out the engine oil dipstick and check?
I never do that.... or max 1-2 times a year.

I check tire pressure every 1-2 weeks though.

·
Banned
2006 E320 CDI
932 Posts
W211 does not have dipstick, thus I do not pull it at all. I know some members have purchased dipstick tool but I am not sure, how convenient is to use it.
Any way I think you should check you oil level at least one a month or often than that based on your engine mileage.

·
Registered
2012 E350 4Matic Wagon P2 Lane Tracking Driver Assit. Heated/Ventilated/Multicontour*/Leather seats
262 Posts
My 06 wagon has a dipstick. I check the oil while waiting for the tank to fill. I also peak at it just about every time I open the hood. Why not be safe. I love seeing how clean the oil is on this 105K mi engine. Wish the end of the dipstick was a different color. I really have a hard time seeing oil on it.

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
W211 does not have dipstick, thus I do not pull it at all. I know some members have purchased dipstick tool but I am not sure, how convenient is to use it.
Any way I think you should check you oil level at least one a month or often than that based on your engine mileage.
My W211 does have a dipstick ...; it is at the back of engine. I wonder how many people will pull it out regularly. My logic - if engine oil is running low the sensor will detect it and alert you on the dash message. If we physically pull the dipstick out every 2-3 months it really does not make any sense.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
My car has a dipstick, I usually get the mesage to "add oil at the next refuelling" after about 8 or 9K miles from FSS reset.

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car has a dipstick, I usually get the mesage to "add oil at the next refuelling" after about 8 or 9K miles from FSS reset.
That means I don't to worry about this engine oil and check it as frequently as I do on the tire pressure!? I just rely on the dash message to pop up.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Its always a good practice to check oil level when you refuel.
I usually check mine at least once a month.
I consider the messaging system as confirmation, one thing I can tell you is that it is very accurate, when it says add oil, I'm down 0.75 qts every time.

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its always a good practice to check oil level when you refuel.
I usually check mine at least once a month.
I consider the messaging system as confirmation, one thing I can tell you is that it is very accurate, when it says add oil, I'm down 0.75 qts every time.
I know it is a good practice, but what is that for?...and who is doing it?
In Hong Kong, I bet no one is doing it.
Sorry but bear with me.

·
Banned
2006 E320 CDI
932 Posts
My car does not have a dipstick and some time I worry a little bit because of that. If the oil sensor malfunctions, I can be in trouble, although my car never asks for oil between oil changes and I usually evacuate 300 to 500 ml less after 10000 miles. I know that this amount of oil I am short off is blown back into the intake manifold through the PCV system because I see it inside the hose that vents in the turbo air intake.

·
Registered
2012 E350 4Matic Wagon P2 Lane Tracking Driver Assit. Heated/Ventilated/Multicontour*/Leather seats
262 Posts
Anyone have an idea of how much fluid the underpinnings will hold before an undetected leak appears on the driveway.

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Who is doing it?

You do it because your engine costs $17,000
Unless you do it every day, it doesn't necessarily save you from a blown engine. If you do it every 2 weeks - theoretically if it was leaking it could have leaked dry all engine oil.

What I am saying is - this periodic, manual pulling out the dipstick is so useless - who is still doing it in the USA?

In Hong Kong - it is impossible to do at a gas station without being cursed by the driver behind as all gas stations are busy; at home basement parking it is so hard to correctly reinsert the dipstick back into its hole which is at the back of the engine, as the hood cover restrains the lighting. NO ONE is doing it EXCEPT the cab driver is doing it in the street at broad daylight.

Back to the purpose of my thread - who is STILL doing this?...and what is the logic?

·
Registered
2005 E500
4 Posts
My E500 did not come with a dipstick, but I purchased one. I use the dipstick partially to verify the oil level, but even more to check the physical condition of the oil.

For example, is the oil pitch black or just dark brown? Is the oil "milky" or otherwise discolored? Does it have a funny smell to it? Feel the oil between your fingers....does it have fine particles in it?

The dipstick can answer these type of questions. The oil level sensor cannot.

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My E500 did not come with a dipstick, but I purchased one. I use the dipstick partially to verify the oil level, but even more to check the physical condition of the oil.

For example, is the oil pitch black or just dark brown? Is the oil "milky" or otherwise discolored? Does it have a funny smell to it? Feel the oil between your fingers....does it have fine particles in it?

The dipstick can answer these type of questions. The oil level sensor cannot.
Understand. Makes sense for the purpose you described....but not as a daily tool for checking if engine oil is leaking. Question - where do you insert your purchased dipstick...and how often do you use it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts