Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo and 1985 300D Turbo
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure out what kind of engine oil I should use in my 1983 300D.

I understand that the old CI-4 and CI-4+ formulations contained higher levels of anti-wear, oxidation inhibitor, and detergent/dispersent levels than the new (current) CJ-4 designation. Particular attention has been focused on total base number (TBN), zinc, and phosporus levels in CI vs CJ oils.

A review written by Martin and Patton in the TurdoDiesel Register grouped 22 oils into "best, good, satisfactory, and ho-hum" (below). The authors advised against using the low-end-performance CJ-4 oils unless your engine was newer (2007) and equipped with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) .

I would like to hear comments on this, and how you went about finding the correct oil for your old car.

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Nice thread. You should post it over on peach parts too - that'll get the old boys going!

I just buy what looks like a reasonable oil for a reasonable price. Here in Holland the choice is pretty slim and the prices are high. I have found it to be way cheaper to buy oil in Germany, France and the UK.

I've settled on Castrol GTX which doesn't do too well on the list you posted but then the only other brand on the list that I can get is Shell Rotella T synthetic which is only sold locally in 0.5 litre bottles...

...I think they wanted 20 euros for 0.5 litres at the local garage...

...and how many litres do I need for my OM617? You do the sums - I think I'll poo my pants if I do them!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I can't even imagine having to buy in half liters. I use rotella t in my 5.0 which takes 8 quarts, and I got some funny looks buying the 4 gallons necessary for 2 changes+ 2 extra quarts.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice thread. You should post it over on peach parts too - that'll get the old boys going!
You said that I should. I guess that I got used, eh? If so, then shame on you.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
You said that I should. I guess that I got used, eh? If so, then shame on you.
I'm sorry I thought that the "oil threads" on peach parts were notorious enough for my original comment not to be taken literally.

There's no harm done - it has traditionally brought out some heated debates over there. That's all. It'll be fine. I guess they've disscussed it enough.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry I thought that the "oil threads" on peach parts were notorious enough for my original comment not to be taken literally.

There's no harm done - it has traditionally brought out some heated debates over there. That's all. It'll be fine. I guess they've disscussed it enough.
Oh, I see: inside joke, on me.

By now, it should be apparent to all that they should not take you at your word.

I certainly will not take you at your word.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts

By now, it should be apparent to all that they should not take you at your word.

'Sorry to have up set you - that wasn't my intention - I thought what I had written in my first post was clear enough.

·
Registered
5 Speed "85" Euro TD , 5 speed "85" Euro 240D, "79" 5 spd 240D, 5 spd "94" Dodge/Cummins PU
664 Posts

Geez, get over it, he said he was sorry.:crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The guy apologized, let it go so we can have a good discussion.

I've been using Delo 400 15W-40 but I want to try out their "synthetic" 5W-40 version. Those from PP said this oil is not a true synthetic, that's why they're priced so cheap for synthetic oil.

Many people swear by other oil types, I'm sure whatever they're using suits their needs well. But like others have said, as long as it's diesel-rated and is included with the approved lubricants list from MB, you should be okay.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1580399-engine-oil-difference-between-229-3-a.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1604321-mercedes-benz-engine-oil-specs-229-a.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts