Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
04/12 A207 E350
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been going thru the books that came with the car and i saw at the beginning about 7,500 miles the oil was changed with a 20W50. (from 7,500 to 47,900 it was changed with the 20w50 oil) then at 47,900 miles it was changed to a 15W40 Mobil oil (which from the research I’ve done it’s a heavy duty/diesel oil which I was confused about) and that was the last entry in that booklet. on the “next service due” in the car it says 11-6-15 or 199,639 and the oil used then was a 5W40. The current mileage on the car is 201,103 and on 12-5-15 the engine was replaced. (according to the date on the engine) I’m not sure what oil to use since the engine was replaced in 2015 and what the history of the engine was.

TL;DR - engine was replaced in 2015, unsure what oil to use.

· W163 and General M Gremlin
17,028 Posts
I’ve been going thru the books that came with the car and i saw at the beginning about 7,500 miles the oil was changed with a 20W50. (from 7,500 to 47,900 it was changed with the 20w50 oil) then at 47,900 miles it was changed to a 15W40 Mobil oil (which from the research I’ve done it’s a heavy duty/diesel oil which I was confused about) and that was the last entry in that booklet. on the “next service due” in the car it says 11-6-15 or 199,639 and the oil used then was a 5W40. The current mileage on the car is 201,103 and on 12-5-15 the engine was replaced. (according to the date on the engine) I’m not sure what oil to use since the engine was replaced in 2015 and what the history of the engine was.

TL;DR - engine was replaced in 2015, unsure what oil to use.
Send a sample in for testing - they can tell you. Inexpensive (and piece of mind for you)

fyi - for the w202 kompressor, we use 5w40 synthetic (for this temperate zone) and because this weight was much cheaper in bulk at the time I needed more oil (with more than one combustion engine to upkeep)

17,028 Posts
Should I use 5W40 just to be “safe” and should I change the oil every 3,000 miles? what’s the proper oil change intervals?
Im a firm believer it depends on your driving habits - daily or not, city, freeway or mix.
I've always used synthetic. 10kKm (6kmi) interval works for me but I check (with a calendar reminder) at 5kKm.
Ours are not used in daily commutes, but even then, 10kKm interval for me is easy to remember (as a number)
MB (older)mechanics (at MB and independant indies) Ive spoken to have said 10k mi on synthetic is perfectly fine for these older Mbs.

· Registered
1,892 Posts
Diesel oils have better/more cleaners than regular oil and I think have better anti-sheer properties too. Most are also approved for gasoline engines. Depending on your ambient low temps, a good 5-40 or 10-40 will work fine changed at 3000-5000mi intervals.

· Registered
1,892 Posts
You have to consider the filter as well. Just good oil and a crappy filter won't do you very much especially if you keep it for 10k miles. I wouldn't run any oil for 10k miles. Maybe 7500mi on good syn oils. It also depends on your type of driving.

I use regular castrol 10w40 and change every 5k or every year. I mostly drive city.

High mileage oils can benefit old high mi engines.

read some oil threads. You'll get lots of info there.

17,028 Posts
Also if i cant get a bosch oil filter, what filter brands should i avoid?
Just go pickup a Mann or Hengst oil filter - They are cloth. Do not use paper.
Use the community search feature at the top or google it.

· Registered
MY11 W212 S350, 2018 W213 E220d.
933 Posts
The books came with the car back in 1997. Since then Mercedes has advanced with the technology.
My 1996 W202 was always serviced at the dealership.
There was a MB sticker attached to the cam cover - Mobil 1 0-40 recommended.
Initially when the car was new the service book indicated Castrol Dino was used.
Later as newer oils became available the service books reflected what MB were latest recommendations for the car.

Go to the MB site and check what the latest recommendations are - use them.

· Registered
1995 C220
3,044 Posts
Mann filters are basically factory mercedes filters without the merceded logo on the box. I have used them religiously for years with no issues, because they appear to be great quality and are as cheap as anything else out there. As far as oil change intervals, my owners manual says it is good for 7500 miles, and this is with regular oil, in 95 they were not yet using synthetics across the board. BUT what I do is change with synthetic in 5000 mile intervals, mainly because it is easy for me to remember and not necessary to write down. So for example, I know to change at 150,000, 155,000, 160,000, etc. I am bad about keeping service records, so this helps me keep on top of it, and I think it is a better than safe interval no matter what oil you use.

· Registered
93 220E W124
184 Posts
It seems everyone here is using a xW40, makes me wonder if the 229.5 5W30 i used for my latest oil change is ok and thick enough for the M111 engine. At least my engine seems quieter when cold than with the 10W40 i had before.

· Registered
98 C280 auto tranny
52 Posts
Read good stuff about the Castrol Syntec 0w-40 euro made stuff when I was into BMW E34 tourings. Used it for my first oil change when we got the C280. Then will switch to the Rotella T6 or maybe try the Costco diesel oil. Same thoughts on oil change interval, used to do 3k changes but will double to 6k with the Benzo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.