Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
W124 E300 12v 1992 and a 2009 Crown Victoria
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear readers :)

After changing some part that needed dissembling other parts here and there (that required draining the engine oil), I conducted an experiment to make sure that the engine censor is working fine. I changed the oil but first filled 4 litters and had a little drive to see if the light comes on, but it didn't. Now, the capacity is 6 litters and if the oil is around 4.5 litters the lights comes on for a warning.

Is there something wrong with my experiment?

BTW, when I put the key on the ON position, the engine oil light shows up. Does this prove that the censor is fine as well, or just that the light is working fine?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1992 300ce, 3.0, 207,00 mi.
335 Posts
Key at #2 position (on) is just a bulb check, verifies light bulb is OK. Next ck is with engine running disconnect the single wire to the oil level sensor and the light should come on. If it does not then there is a wiring problem. If the light comes on then the oil level was not quite low enough for your experiment or the sensor is bad.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the clarification i6h000.

I believe we cannot control on which level the warning comes on, or can't we? The light used to come on before when the oil level was 0.5 letter more that of from my experiment. The mechanic could have readjusted it either intentionally or not.

Thanks for your time.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
There is no way to adjust the oil level sensor. It's a pass/fail part (either working correctly or not). It is also a part that is prone to fail. The sensor isn't expensive and is so simple to change. For me, I would keep an eye on the oil level until it's due for another change. At that time, I'd replace the sensor.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Then the censor is either dead or disconnected for me since the warning point cannot be adjusted and I'm certain that the light comes on when the level is lower than ~4.5 which is 0.5L higher than what I experimented.

Thanks man.

Case closed, I guess.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
The sensor is on the forward left side of the oil pan. It has a single wire connection. Check to see that it is connected.

Jayare

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again guys,

The censor was defective so I changed it and now when I disconnect it's cable when the engine was on, the light illuminated.

But, for some reason when the oil level reached the min sign on the stick, the light only flashed two times and fast enough that I might have missed it if I wasn't so worried and kept watching the lights every minute. After that it didn't show up again until I changed the oil, and it was a lil below the min sign.

Before it used to stay on for some time that even blind people would notice it.

Yeah, I did check by disconnecting the cable and the light came on like normal.

If all tests gave good results, what else could be wrong?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts