1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Thank you in advance.

I was cruising the highway last night (from Lake Havasu City, AZ to Phonenix[Mesa], AZ) around 90 ~ 100 mph, and “Engine Oil level low� light came on the dash.
It was on and off continually.

Called a mechanic this morning, and he said just put a quarter of oil. If it continues later on, I need to check valve system.

Is it all required? Just adding one quarter of oil?
Is it better change oil & filter, then?

I changed oil & filter approximately 2,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
my car burns oil i'd sugest adding oil untill the next oil change but when u do, do another oil change i'd switch to synthetic

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
the oil is going somewhere, so it's either leaking to the outside and dripping (which you could check for, esp if you always park in the same spot), or it's getting into the engine and being burned off (which you may notice as bluish smoke if it was in large enough amounts, but not if it was a small leak). switching to synthetic oil will not help the cause of the problem, but whichever oil type you use, the main thing is to make sure you don't drive around with a low oil level for too long.

my 560SEL just recently developed a head gasket leak (it has 158k miles), but most of it appears to be leaking outside, leaving spots all over my garage floor. it's annoying to keep it like that, but i can't afford a head gasket job (and the attendant timing chain/valve guide job) right now so i've resigned myself to just toping off the oil as needed. many of these cars leak, given their age.

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
i suggest Mobil synthetic great oil my fav

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Benz Devil - 3/20/2005 2:03 AM

Valvorine 10W-50
The M116/117s and M103s don’t care for that weight oil, they tend to make it disappear somewhere. Other members have reported the same oil consumption issues with that weight. I have no oil consumption issues with my M117 using 15w 40 and the M103 using 20w 50. Try M1 or 20w 50 dino before looking at mechanical problems.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Nothing bad will happen with two different weights of oil but it's not ideal in the long run. You need to keep a few quarts of oil in the trunk - same brand/weight - as you never know when the add oil light will light. You also need to check the oil at every fill up. If you see it's low you don't want to buy the overpriced oil at the filling station and they may not carry your weight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: engine oil level

Hi there,

When i got a low oil level warning, my first step is stopping the car, turn off the engine and check the oil level from the dip stick. If the oil level turns out low, i'll top it up with mineral based oil up to the right level and drive again with the plan of having an engine oil leak test very soon.
If the oil level turns out right, i'll suspect that the oil level sensor is defective. I'll drive again and have the sensor checked ASAP.
Now, please answer this question. does the LOW OIL LEVEL warning appear during driving at high speed (equivalent to high RPM at vehicle standstill) or even during idle speed at standstill?

·
Registered
328 Posts
How many miles on the engine? You might want to pull the spark plugs and inspect them for traces of oil carbon build up which could be a sign of valve guides and stems going bad. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Strange, I have no problem finding 15w 40 oil, at least three different brands, at Wal mart and Autozone.

You can go from dino to synthetic, it's my understanding the synthetic oil is formulated to not cause leaks in older engines. I would not leave it in too long if you use a standard filter, no more then 7500 miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Benz Devil said:
In my case, it appears at high speed. I went back to my log book (I keep record or my SEL), usually LOW OIL LEVEL light appears 2,000 miles after oil & filter change.
If your dip stick shows that oil level is right a minute after shutting off the engine, i think you have a clogged oil passage somewhere because the suction rate of the oil pump is faster than the return flow of oil to the pan. It's also possible that you have a thick oil sludge on the crankcase cover giving your dip stick the right oil level but actually it's less. Oil sludging is common on synthetic oils

·
Registered
27 Posts
jdc1244a said:
The low oil light will appear at any engine speed.
If your dip stick show right level, i think it's just the sensor. But if the stick shows low oil level and no visible sign of leaks, then you're probably throwing oil on the exhaust system. Check the air filter, if it's soaked with oil then you have a piston ring problem. If it's dry, check the spark plugs. If the plugs are wet with oil, you have a valve seal, valve, or a valve guide problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts