Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
E220 Estate 1996
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak round the front of the engine that is dripping onto the plastic shield under the front of the car. I have tried to identify the source but I am struggling - anyone any experience of this type of problem,

I also have a water leak on the top hose which appears to be wicking through the textiles that form part of the hose - is this a common problem ?

Any and all comments/advice appreciated

·
Registered
E220 1994
72 Posts
If you really see some water on the hose, especially after parking the car and the engine let cool, then definitely you need tighten up the screw of the hose and check for any further dripping.
In my case , the underneath pan was soaked with some oil and water one day. Next morning, before I start the engine, I found some greenish fluid over the cranshaft pulley. It is the hose connecting the thermostat to the pump that is leaking. I replaced a new one despite no crack was found in the old hose.
The oil was from previous overflow of the steering oil topped up by a stupid guy in the stealer. (But still I guess I need to replace the steering filter soon as someone posted that the nearly cogged steering pump filter will make the reservoir overflow despite the level is correct.)
Engine oil leak will be suspected if you found the engine oil level needs frequent top up. Or if you actually see the gasket around is oily or dusty.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a smiley shaped gasket on the front of the engine behind the distributer that is a notorious leaker. The gasket costs $5 but the labor is a PITA. I lost a quart every 3k, but sprung for the repair and the leak stopped

1 - 3 of 3 Posts