Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall when I got my E350 (2006), the sales person told me that the engine oil change (every 13,000 mi) will be complimentary. Now, I have about 12,000 and Service C indicated is coming on my instrument panel. I called the dealer to make an appoinment, and they told me that it's gonna cost me about $80 for engine oil change (not free!) and Service C is about $180. what da f~.


Does anybody know if the engine oil change is free or not? and do i need to get Service C?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
That's why they are call Stealership. You should report your sales person to the Stealership General Manager. BMW offers free schedule maintenance for 4 years. MB offers nothing. FYI, the Stealership makes more in service then they do in selling cars. I have a 2006 E350, and I change my oil at 6,500 miles. I'm not comfortable changing it at 13,000 miles. I'm planning on keeping my E350 for 10+ years, so what's another $85/year in oil change.
 

·
Registered
2005 E500, 2007 ML350, 2007 VW Rabbit
Joined
·
80 Posts
It's definitely not free. So either you heard the salesman wrong, he made a mistake in his speaking, or he's lying to you. The only service I've seen done for free would be the 1,000-3,000 mile StarDiagnosis test, when they simply plug your car into a computer and make sure nothing is wrong.

And yes, you need to get Service C. Obviously, it wouldnt exist if you didnt need it. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Joined
·
1,344 Posts
the only time that MB offered free a and b services was on the 03-04 models. all cars now the customer is responsible.
 

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
PasadenaE350 said:
That's why they are call Stealership. You should report your sales person to the Stealership General Manager. BMW offers free schedule maintenance for 4 years. MB offers nothing. FYI, the Stealership makes more in service then they do in selling cars. I have a 2006 E350, and I change my oil at 6,500 miles. I'm not comfortable changing it at 13,000 miles. I'm planning on keeping my E350 for 10+ years, so what's another $85/year in oil change.
You do realize that in the US oil change intervals are reduced from original Mercedes recomendation of 19,000 miles to 13,000 miles...right?

You do realize that you have higher rates of wear in the first 1,000-3,000 miles of an oils life than later when the oil has approx 19,000+ miles on it...right? The point is to reduce the number of activation cycles of the oil and reduce the engines lifetime (wear metal, ppm/1000 mile/km) wear rates to as low as possible. Engine oil literally at 15,000 miles is protecting your motor as well as when the oil had 5,000 miles in terms of wear metal generation. At 1,000 miles your wear metals being generated are 3-4x's the wear rates at 10,000 miles...

If you doubt this, simply take a sample at 2 miles post oil change. Take another sample at 250, 500, 750, 1000, 1500, 5000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000...Plot it and you will easily see the activation cycle of the oil additives and the significant drop in wear rates that occur once you get 1,000-3,000 miles on the oil.

Use only approved oils ie MB 229.5 or MB 229.51 and just change it when the computer calls for it.

Stepping off the soap box...

If you doubt me, I have a good friend thats an STLE that I can put you in touch with, he designes these additives and lubicant formulations.

DB
 

·
Registered
2005 E320 Sedan
Joined
·
411 Posts
Drivebiwire, I can't argure with you because I simply don't know enough. However, what you say is completely counterintuitive. It would seem to me that if that were true, there would be millions of worn out engines around from having their oil changed every 3K miles - the previous "norm", the complete opposite of what I've seen with my own eyes.

Some years ago, my dealer tore down a SAAB engine that had well over 200K on it with the idea of rebuilding it for racing. He "mic'd" all the internal parts to check of wear and found that there was no need to replace other than the valves and seats, as I recall. These were the days when a 3K change interval was "required", especially if you had a turbo...

I just don't get it...
 

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
Mobil ran a series of 10 CAT engines in an OTR fleet without changing the oil for 750,000 miles, all the motors when torn down were within NEW LIMITS... (oil filters and only the oil needed for top offs were added).

Oil additives require heat and/or pressure typically both for the different additives in an engine to become fully functional. Due to dilution of the additives in the oil and the relatively low content it takes 1000 or more miles for all the additives to become activated.

No car maker to date recomends 3000 mile oil changes!

Most car makers specify very specific oil requirements that oil makers have to meet in order to list the OEM approval.

FSS+ is not an idiot lite, it actually monitors the oil condition as well as a host of other factors related directly to how the engine has been operated.

Next time you get the urge to dump a perfecty good sump of oil, pull an oil sample, send it in, post it here and any number of us will be happy to look it over and project when your next oil change would be due.

From an engineer standpoint changing oil every 6,000 miles is totally counterintuitive to providing an engine with the best level of protection...

DB
 

·
Registered
E500
Joined
·
708 Posts
Streetglower said:
the only time that MB offered free a and b services was on the 03-04 models. all cars now the customer is responsible.
This is what we had. The 2003 and it was covered in maint. to 50k miles. Now I just pay and pay. Last visit for serivce C was about $900 which included rear brakes bads and rotors.

I will do my own brakes and oil changes now for much less.

If they "told" you free maintenance for 50K miles you have a verbal contract. Here in La. verbal contracts are binding if you can prove them. But most have found it is difficult to catch the words in the air and prove it in court. So for them paying for your maintenance if you don't have it in written format.

See the service mgr and if he agrees you are right, then :bowdown: to you for your accomplishment. I wish you the best but don't be suprised:eek:

Jim
 

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
Joined
·
31,633 Posts
First thing I would do is call back and talk to your salesperson or whoever told you that. Naturally they'll lie or say you misunderstood, then take it up with the sales supervisor. If he is also recalcitrant, take it up with dealership manangement. If they all balk at it -- and you're sure you heard correctly -- then find someplace else and don't give them your service business. You do not need to have your car serviced at an MB dealer to preserve your warranty.

By the way, if you have any DIY abilities at all this is a simple job; I did a DIY with pictures for the last generation E that is pretty much the same, it's in the W210 forum. Whether you DIY or have an indie do it, just be sure to keep all of your receipts (for oil and filters if you DIY) and document the mileage at which the changes were made (there should be a little book in your owners packet for this purpose) so in case they challenge you on a later warranty claim you have the substance to back it up.

FWIW, Louisiana, you're the state with the oddball laws, but every state in the union has a law on the book about verbal contracts. The general wisdom is that they are not worth the paper they are written on. From my former career and experience I can tell you that these typically devolve into a "he said, she said" dispute that can cost thousands, certainly more than paying for oil changes.

BTW, $80 is a great price for an oil change, to be completely honest. If you DIY you'll pay around $75 just for the oil and filter kit. Have to say if I were close to that dealer I'd quit DIYing for that job. :)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
 

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
Joined
·
1,906 Posts
drivbiwire said:
You do realize that in the US oil change intervals are reduced from original Mercedes recomendation of 19,000 miles to 13,000 miles...right?

You do realize that you have higher rates of wear in the first 1,000-3,000 miles of an oils life than later when the oil has approx 19,000+ miles on it...right? The point is to reduce the number of activation cycles of the oil and reduce the engines lifetime (wear metal, ppm/1000 mile/km) wear rates to as low as possible. Engine oil literally at 15,000 miles is protecting your motor as well as when the oil had 5,000 miles in terms of wear metal generation. At 1,000 miles your wear metals being generated are 3-4x's the wear rates at 10,000 miles...

If you doubt this, simply take a sample at 2 miles post oil change. Take another sample at 250, 500, 750, 1000, 1500, 5000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000...Plot it and you will easily see the activation cycle of the oil additives and the significant drop in wear rates that occur once you get 1,000-3,000 miles on the oil.

Use only approved oils ie MB 229.5 or MB 229.51 and just change it when the computer calls for it.

Stepping off the soap box...

If you doubt me, I have a good friend thats an STLE that I can put you in touch with, he designes these additives and lubicant formulations.

DB

WOW this is news to me, do you have a link or any means to substantiate your claim, other than a good friend. I am interested.
 

·
Registered
E500
Joined
·
708 Posts
Yacht Master said:
WOW this is news to me, do you have a link or any means to substantiate your claim, other than a good friend. I am interested.
Check this site for Mobile 1 which is approved for use in the Mercedes. Read down the website for the information, then you can go to the blackstone link for the test and review the engineering data. You will find that drivbiwire is correct. Jim

Synthetic Oil Life Study
 

·
Registered
06 Corvette, Harley Davidson, 08 E350 Sport
Joined
·
18 Posts
The “feel gooders”

No matter how much absolute, verifyable proof,
there are still some who will insist on foolish,
unneeded oil changes.

Why?

Because they “feel good” after they’ve done it.

jimm

==========

On Order: 08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black,
Parktronic, Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut,
Split rear seat, Rear mud flaps
 

·
Registered
'00 S430
Joined
·
269 Posts
drivbiwire said:
No car maker to date recomends 3000 mile oil changes!
Chrysler recommends 3K oil changes for virtually everyone. "If you ever take a trip less than 3 miles, if the ambient temp ever drops below 32F", and a host of other nonsense they list. If you meet any of the 7-8 items they list then you are to change at 3K, if you meet none of the criteria then you change at 6K.
 

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
Joined
·
1,906 Posts
vettdvr said:
Check this site for Mobile 1 which is approved for use in the Mercedes. Read down the website for the information, then you can go to the blackstone link for the test and review the engineering data. You will find that drivbiwire is correct. Jim

Synthetic Oil Life Study

Super interesting, and thanks for the post and the link.
That Mobil 1 holds up quite well.
 

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
Joined
·
1,906 Posts
drivbiwire said:
You do realize that in the US oil change intervals are reduced from original Mercedes recomendation of 19,000 miles to 13,000 miles...right?

You do realize that you have higher rates of wear in the first 1,000-3,000 miles of an oils life than later when the oil has approx 19,000+ miles on it...right? The point is to reduce the number of activation cycles of the oil and reduce the engines lifetime (wear metal, ppm/1000 mile/km) wear rates to as low as possible. Engine oil literally at 15,000 miles is protecting your motor as well as when the oil had 5,000 miles in terms of wear metal generation. At 1,000 miles your wear metals being generated are 3-4x's the wear rates at 10,000 miles...

If you doubt this, simply take a sample at 2 miles post oil change. Take another sample at 250, 500, 750, 1000, 1500, 5000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000...Plot it and you will easily see the activation cycle of the oil additives and the significant drop in wear rates that occur once you get 1,000-3,000 miles on the oil.

Use only approved oils ie MB 229.5 or MB 229.51 and just change it when the computer calls for it.

Stepping off the soap box...

If you doubt me, I have a good friend thats an STLE that I can put you in touch with, he designes these additives and lubicant formulations.

DB

I would like to be put in touch with your good friend.
 

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
Joined
·
1,906 Posts
drivbiwire said:
You do realize that in the US oil change intervals are reduced from original Mercedes recomendation of 19,000 miles to 13,000 miles...right?

You do realize that you have higher rates of wear in the first 1,000-3,000 miles of an oils life than later when the oil has approx 19,000+ miles on it...right? The point is to reduce the number of activation cycles of the oil and reduce the engines lifetime (wear metal, ppm/1000 mile/km) wear rates to as low as possible. Engine oil literally at 15,000 miles is protecting your motor as well as when the oil had 5,000 miles in terms of wear metal generation. At 1,000 miles your wear metals being generated are 3-4x's the wear rates at 10,000 miles...

If you doubt this, simply take a sample at 2 miles post oil change. Take another sample at 250, 500, 750, 1000, 1500, 5000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000...Plot it and you will easily see the activation cycle of the oil additives and the significant drop in wear rates that occur once you get 1,000-3,000 miles on the oil.

Use only approved oils ie MB 229.5 or MB 229.51 and just change it when the computer calls for it.

Stepping off the soap box...

If you doubt me, I have a good friend thats an STLE that I can put you in touch with, he designes these additives and lubicant formulations.

DB
Well I have been asking around, and can't figure out why new clean oil is so bad for an engine, your claim of >>>"At 1,000 miles your wear metals being generated are 3-4x's the wear rates at 10,000 miles"<<< needs to be explained.
What causes this?
 

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Joined
·
10,425 Posts
Yacht Master said:
Well I have been asking around, and can't figure out why new clean oil is so bad for an engine, your claim of >>>"At 1,000 miles your wear metals being generated are 3-4x's the wear rates at 10,000 miles"<<< needs to be explained.
What causes this?
Search for earlier posts from drivbiwire and other experts (on oil and other issues), he has explained it a few times (don't want to put it with my own words, better to find the original info).
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top