Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble getting VIN information on an 83 380SL. Car was not built for the US market. Have been back and forth with classic on it. They are now confirming that the VIN matches the engine number. I have the engine number off the engine, but there is supposed to be a stamp on the body of the engine number also. I can not find it. Classic says it should be on the left frame rail area. Probably down near the engine mount. The manual shows its on the left side also. I can not find it. Could someone tell me more specifically where to look. Or better yet post a photo of the location.

I need the engine number on the body so I can ensure the engine hasn't been changed.

So far all the vin numbers I can find match but classic is having trouble decoding it. There should also be a vin number on the chassis on the right frame rail area also per classic, I can't find this too.

help!

thanks!

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
Classic Center in Irvine, CA. ? I have never heard of any of engine number stamping on the body. The chassis number is only stamped on the upper radiator support AFAIK. The engine number is only stamped on the top of the block behind the left cylinder head.

Fill in your profile.

·
Registered
420 Posts
On model 107 380SL the identification plates on body are arranged as follows:
(Number 4 is engine number on the front crossmenber centre)

Hope it helps

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
The Euro owners manual shows #4 (#3 in the manual) as the Body no. Paint Code no.

I check all my 107s U.S. and Euro and don't find any sticker or stamping of the engine number on the body.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So classic was able to decode the VIN by the engine number. It came up to a number 2 digits off the number on the car. They believe it to be a record keeping error, they could not find an entry for the VIN on the car. This was a weird one. I am still unable to find any numbers on the body of the engine number. The book I have shows the engine number in location 5, can't find it there though.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
isthisdave, I have the engine number from the engine, I need to find the number on the body to ensure a numbers matching car

Elrick, nothing there I can see, but that is the kind of tag I'm looking for... is there anywhere else it may have been placed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so I was able to get keys that work. The car is numbers matching but Mercedes screwed up some type of record keeping in production. The VIN number on the car they say doesn't exist/never existed, but the VIN that matches the engine number is for this car. They made me that key and it works. The two VIN numbers are 3 digits apart. It was an odd one but customer is very happy to have keys now.

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts