1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 c230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so here is the deal...

On June 1st I got my service A done
June 23rd my car completely died while heading to work, I came to a stop felt it running really rough then less than a mile, no more power.
Had it towed to my house. Check my oil, BARELY ANY OIL. Fuck me!
My oil warning had come on right before the engine cutting out. Fearing I had destroyed the engine, I just started saving up the money to buy one. It's wort it getting it fixed an engine will run about $800-$900 plus labor $600-700. My car is worth more than this plus I am still making payments. Anyways...

I never bothered having a mechanic come and check it out because I don't wanna pay someone to tell me something I already know. I need a new engine. Blah.

Over the weekend. I had a friend over who is knowledgable in engines. He asked if I have even tried to add oil. Sooo we head to get oil. Add it. The car starts for a few seconds, I get up to about 1000 rpms and it dies. No I'm questioning if I have to replace the engine. But when I try to turn over the engine, it sounds like it wants to start. Also my friend noticed that where coolant tank is (see pictures) the bottom of where the neck is starts leaking when you try start it. It's almost as if a pump? Or something has gone bad and isn't taking the coolant into the engine.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Yes I've already contacted the place who did my oil change and they said they suck the oil out because my first thought was they didn't screw to drain plug I'm all the way or over tightened causing the seal to break.

Nevermind about the pictures, I can't upload them using my phone.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,463 Posts
If the engine rotates, then it isn't seized. Have you checked the oil level via the MFD? Also, you might try a dipstick (yes, I know the car doesn't have one, but you can make one with a piece if wire). Also, check the serpentine belt - it runs the water pump. If it's broken or if the idler pulley has seized, that can cause the water pump to fail.

·
Registered
2002 c230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks you for the reply Rodney...

I am not very engine savvy but I'll have my friend check it out. I plan on having him hook up his OBD reader on Friday.

I know that I was burning coolant very quickly the last week before the engine stopped.

I did check the oil dipstick (there is one) I don't know why people say there is not. But when I did check it the day this all started. There was barely any.

But by it firing up even if it was a few seconds gives me hope I didn't completely seize the engine.

I'll make sure to check back in when I get some answers.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
where did the oil go? if you'd burned up all the oil you wouldn've noticed a smoke screen behind you for weeks. it sounds like the shop messed something up which let the oil leak out the drain plug or filter housing. if that's the case I would take it up with them. your price estimates for engine and labor seem really low. maybe for a junkyard engine that has been sitting in the rain for a few years installed by a friend in his backyard.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks you for the reply Rodney...

I am not very engine savvy but I'll have my friend check it out. I plan on having him hook up his OBD reader on Friday.

I know that I was burning coolant very quickly the last week before the engine stopped.

I did check the oil dipstick (there is one) I don't know why people say there is not. But when I did check it the day this all started. There was barely any.

But by it firing up even if it was a few seconds gives me hope I didn't completely seize the engine.

I'll make sure to check back in when I get some answers.

Thanks all!
Did you check the engine oil or the transmission oil? Bill

·
Registered
2003 C230k
13 Posts
My car died like this as well once, oil was fine. wouldnt start again. I know this is going to sound stupid but we put about 10L of gas in and it started right away. gauge showed 3/4 before addding fuel. It could be fumes are not allowing it to start

1 - 6 of 6 Posts