Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 C320 (~11k miles on it). I have brought it to the dealer for two different engine noises. The first was a ticking noise that sounded like a lifter to me. It turned out to be the purge valve which was replaced with one of a supposedly better design. The second noise is what sounds like a bearing rapping upon startup. It is particularly noticeable on the first start of the day but is not consistent. I could only describe it as a rap bap bap bap bap when starting the engine. The noise was pointed out to me and witnessed a few times by my father who is a mechanic with 40+ years experience and also owns a MB. When I brought it to the dealer to point this noise out (as well as the ticking) they told me this noise was perfectly normal. I am not completely sold on that answer but feel I have at least documented the problem with them. I am tired of bringing it in for stupid things that I am so surprised to find in a Mercedes.<br> Anyway, I would really appreciate some feedback on this one. This seems to be an excellent forum for such issues. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 320 with 20 K and no noise as you describe. This could be piston slap. What you need to do is leave the car overnight, then return and make sure a mechanic(Not a service writer) is there while you start the car. They can listen with a stethoscope and they'll know first hand. Good luck

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My C240 makes a similar noise on startup - its not consistent and i havent noticed it more on first startup than others. I havent pointed it out to my dealer and doubt i will unless its clear that its detrimental to engine life.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our '02 C240 does the same thing, it just has 3K miles and it has done it since day one. I sounds like a lifter sticking. At least this is the same noise my former '86 300E with 150K had. I don't know if it is serious, I don't think it is, and it goes away after a few secs; I like to think it stops when enought oil gets to what ever is ticking. <br> <br> What is confusing is that my '98 ML320 does not do this (i think they share the same engine, different displacement).<br> <br> I will point the noise out when we bring it in to fix the door sill they scratch and keep you posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts