Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and I must say it is very informative and helpful. Thanks!
Okay gang, I have a problem.

I noticed that my '01 ML 320 makes a chugging noise like a steam locomotive in the morning. It's sounds like a background noise behind the regular idle melody. Not sure if it's the lifters or some do-dad working off of the fan belt. Anyone else have this problem? There is no reduction in power or performance at any time. Oil changed every 3K miles and she only has 31K miles in total.

3 months left on the warranty.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
When my exhaust went on a previous car it started to sound like chugging sounds (like a train)(sort of put put you can say) that increase in speed and noise level with engine speed. Eventually it busted and was just very loud all the time till it was welded back.

If this is what your describing then I agree that you should look at the exhaust system as already suggested.

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All:
I just wanted to share this with you.

Took it into the dealer because of a noisy engine. Of course the dealer couldn't reproduce the sound. However, they changed the Harmonic Balancer and the drive belt. The chugging sound went away. (covered under warranty)

Here is one for the record.
The Service Associate called me that afternoon to ask if he could keep the car for another day because he noticed a few small things.

*The SA heard alot of noise in rear compartment area when you hit a bump. Problem corrected. (Adjusted and lubed the tailgate, tightened up the license plate and added the dealer licence plate frame). Nice and quiet now. (covered under warranty)

*The SA changed the plastic rear wheel interior surround. He noticed a small 1/4 inch crack in the seam.
Replaced surround. (covered under warranty)

*The SA noticed that the plastic under the passenger seat wasn't in proper place. Replacement came in but was defective. Reordered the part, will be in next week. (covered under warranty)

Ray Catena has a Service Associate who clearly understands the meaning of "service excellence". Despite the fact that I purchased this car from another dealer, the SA offered me a loaner car (I declined). Needless to say an email went the the Service Manager and Sales Manager @ Ray Catena with my congratulations.

Wait...it gets better.

Got a call from the SA thanking me for the acknowledgment. He told me to come in before the end of July because my warranty expires so that he could do a bumper to bumper inspection.

Service sells!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts