Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
E220 1994
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(E220, 1994 built, 85000km)
After read post from you expert, I finally find the rattling noise near the thermostat housing. I put 2 fingers over the belt tension damper and the noise gone. I buy an original MB tension damper (printed on the box as shock absorber (part# A111 200 04 14) at HKD 300(US 38). It take me 1 hour to replace it.
As from the manual and from orevious post, I was told that it takes 4 hours job. For the design of my 94 E220, there is no need to take away the fan. Steps as follows:
1) hold on the tensioner bolt couterclockwise and release the belt
2) Unbolt the 15mm bolt on the tensioner pulley (really hard and you need a longer socket, counterclockwise)
3) the lower end of the tension damper is exposed and it is fairly easy to replace as well as the upper end.

The worn damper looks and feels like a new one and you cannot tell just from compressing it. My trick to identify it as the source of the noise is that I unbolt the upper end of the damper and the noise is gone immediately after starting the engine.

Hope this help.
I will replace the fuel filter soon but I have to find 2 hose clamp!![B)][B)][:p][8D]

·
Registered
E220 1994
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After replaceing the tenisoner damper , the noise seems gone for 2 months.However, I am still not satisfied with minor rattles near the thermostat housing. After reading many different post, I suspect the tenioner pulley is worn out. I haven't shake the pulley last time when I renew the tensioner damper. However, the T. pulley did look a bit shaky when I shine a torch over it. I use a stethoscope to listen but the rattling sound still seems maximal around the thermostat housing. By which it should not be the water pump as I have replace the pump 2 years ago.
Any comment or expert opinion are highly appreciated.

·
Registered
E220 1994
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tonight I replace the V-belt as well. The old one looks perfect apart from a bit stretched and is 2 inches longer than the new one. SOmeone said that a stretched V-belt may put the tensioner pulley out of the working position and makes the rattle. In my case, replacing the V-belt did help a bit in reducing the vibration of the tensioner pulley. But still the rattling noise (like metal hitting together). Even search again for the source with a stethoscope, the maximal heard noise is still from the thermostat housing. Is this really the culprit. I don't think so as the noise was present in both
cold and hot engine. The rattle becomes more loud when shift in "reverse" gear with handbrake on.
But tonight I found the noise was gone completely when I manually lift up the engine a bit over the manifold inlet. My best guess is that the passenger side engine mount (near the inlet manifold) is collapsed and metal resonate over the metal frame.

I will try to change the passenger side engine mount this weekend and let you know the result. (This is the least likely diagnosis at the beginning because the engine mounts were just replaced 20000 km ago.)

·
Registered
E220 1994
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rattling noise (during idle in D, R gear) finally gone after I replaced the passenger side engine mount. As previous post mention, the mount is 2cm lower than the new one and the rubber bottom is obviously compressed and tilted, with something inside when shaked. SOme vibrations inside the cabin can still be felt as the driver's side engine mount is not yet replace.
I find some difficulty in unbolting the upper bolt (17mm) as the intake manifold support strut is blocking the wrench socket. I need to removed the supporting strut and insert the wrench from below to unbolt the upper bolt of the engine mount. It takes me 75 mins in total. [:(!]

·
Registered
1991 200E
30 Posts
Thanks for the info,

I have a question, how often should the tensioner and damper be replaced? I was told they do not last more than a year or two for my 91 200E, is that true?

·
Registered
E220 1994
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tensioner: No ideda as mine 12/94 made E220 use a new design one-piece tensioner. It still keeps its tension and it has never been replaced. But what I heard from other Japanese post is that the tensioner pulley bearing will sometimes worn and cause it vibrate. It can be checked by removing the belt and turn it and shack the pulley by hand for any free play.

Tensioner damper: Mine has been replaced twice at 30,000km and 80,000km. I think an old lengtened V-belt may somehow put the tensioner to the extreme and finally shake the damper heavily. The damper may thus suffered. In my impression, the damper piston looks and feels normal but the rubber bushing at the two ends was deformed to have a 1mm free play at the bolt. Test for whether the damper is the source of the noise is to remove the upper bolt and start the engine to see if the noise goes away.

N.B. from the Haynes manual, a stretched old V-belt may put the tensioner adjust itself to the extreme end and lost its function, despite a perfect looking V-belt. So replace the belt if it is too old, say >4-5 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts