Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300CE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thanks already. I'm a newbie here and also a first time Mercedes owner. I purchased a 1988 300CE last month. A two-owner, 120k mile, mint condition, previously owned by two elderly ladies, Diamond Blue with chrome wheels California car in excellent condition. It had a resonating vibration at idle, however, which disappeared once underway. After reading this forum, I purchased engine mounts from the Mercedes dealer and had them installed by my mechanic. The difference this repair made was tremendous. No shake or resonance at idle now -- none. One of the old mounts was indeed ruptured with no fluid remaining. If you are having this symptom with yours, I highly recommend this repair. Thanks again to the members who previously discussed this issue. This forum is very useful.[:D]

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]

Hi G,

I'm kinda new here myself. Given that we're talking about a straight-six motor, I expect some vibration at idle. Do you mean to say you can balance a nickel on edge atop the valve cover while idling at 600 RPM?

Happy Trails,
Dave

·
Registered
1988 300CE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave, I don't know about a nickel balanced on edge, but I'll go home and try it. If a nickel balances, I'll try it with a dime too and post results tomorrow.[:D]

·
Registered
1988 300CE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave: The nickel truly balanced on edge, and I was amazed!!! I didn't want to try any larger denomination money, however, for fear it might get sucked into the car through the air intake!

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
An inline 6 is one of The smoothest designs out there. Perfect balence.. My 300TE w/ 16XK idles so smooth it's tough to tell it's running at times.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
jhodg5ck - 4/23/2005 8:16 PM

An inline 6 is one of The smoothest designs out there. Perfect balence.. My 300TE w/ 16XK idles so smooth it's tough to tell it's running at times.

Jonathan
Second that.

·
Registered
1989 Brabus 3.6
36 Posts
jhodg5ck - 4/22/2005 1:16 PM

Jonathan
Inline sixes & V12s are the smoothest engines.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Yup..I have one of each[:D]

Jonathan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts