Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello…I have a question regarding my 2000 CLK320. It currently has 130,000KM and I have noticed that after an oil change at about 6000-9000KM the “Check Engine Oil” lamp comes on.

When I check the oil level, after the car has rested over night, sure enough it is low in oil. This is the second time this has occurred. The last time was back in June-July of this year (2010) and I executed an oil change with a new oil filter, etc.

Brief history, I take care on my baby constantly and make sure to bring it to a MB dealership for all maintenance. From swapping tires to oil changes to light bulb replacements. After I get the car back, I always check to make sure the levels are topped up and filled correctly –this is obviously when an oil change is done or any other fluid replacement. Ruling out any scenarios where oil was not filled correctly, etc.

My question is why is the engine loosing/burning oil? Getting an oil change every 6000-9000KM can add up.
(Using 0W40 Mobil1 Oil)

Any advise, thoughts, suggestions feedback are more than welcome!

Oh and there are no oil leaks or patches where i park my car.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Getting an oil change every 6000-9000KM can add up.
(Using 0W40 Mobil1 Oil)
First comment is that by using oil to MB spec 229.5, you are good for over twice that distance. So you are wasting both time & money. :)

"MB sheet 229.5 approved oils; "MB Longlife Service Oils"
For passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain intervals beyond 229.3 oils, to 30,000 km, min 1.8% fuel saving, first oils introduced summer 2002."

With 130k km on your engine there must be some wear. A compression test would give an indication of how much wear there is. Worn piston rings will allow oil to be burned.

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430 Cab
565 Posts
These vehicles have a cover under the engine so any leaks on the floor would normally be absent. It may be that you have worn valve cover gaskets and leaking small amounts there. The MB dealer told me mine have to be replace but then I have 215,000 mi/ 346,000 km. I have been loosing a quart every month or two (2000 mi/ 3200 km)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts