Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a c230 1997 with the engine light on... it's only giving me one error and that's "fuel trim bank 2" or at least I'm assuming it was bank 2 since the guy that checked it for me said "right side" I don't have any other errors, but I was wondering if this could one of those famous MAF failures... no experience on this so I thought I'd check before I wasted a lot of money to buy a new one.

If anyone has a similar issue or just thinks they know the solution or a possible cause then please throw it out for my benefit, thanks : ).

·
Registered
1999 C230 Kompressor, Midnight Blue
25 Posts
Do you remember the code? I got a P0170 a few months ago. I removed the MAF sensor assembly, sprayed it with MAF cleaner from Advance Auto, and put it back in. Cleared the code and it hasn't come back. That will probably hold you over for the next couple of months.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I don't remember the code, I know it was either P0170 or P0173 though... these being the only options for a fuel trim error... I will give that spray a try though, if it does work maybe it will get rid of the error for a little bit and then I can be sure it is the MAF the next time it shows up : ). If it helps any I can add some info about how the car is currently running.

It has a slightly rough shift (rougher then what I'm used to automatic wise) and the engine has been catching (choking) whenever I brake to a full stop lately. It's a used car but new to me so I can't compare to normal running stats.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
The codes you obtained are MAF codes and your car is exhibiting classic symptoms of MAF failure.

Use a good quality MAF spray cleaner to clean the MAF and see if that helps.

If not, purchase a genuine Bosch MAF from AutohausAZ.

DONOT buy a MAF from Ebay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The was an ad on this site for MAF and since I might be getting one I followed it... can anyone take a look at this link and see what they think?

1997 Mercedes Benz C230 Mass Air Flow Meter Parts from Car Parts Warehouse

I think the first item is just the core... not sure though, and if so is it reasonable to go with it, I know I would need to get a special tool to install it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to post a quick update before I let this thread die, the problem ended up being a loose exhaust pipe gasket, the MAF cleaner seemed to work fine but didn't really make any noticeable difference in the driving/engine running, I think it was and is functioning as designed.

So.... if you get a similar error code, either get a mechanic to check and see if tightening those gaskets does the trick or just do it yourself... be careful not to over-torque it though... Good luck : )

·
Registered
1999 C230 Kompressor, Midnight Blue
25 Posts
Thanks for the update! I'll make sure to check that out next time I see a similar code.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts