Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All....

Last night, as I was stopped at a red light I heard a very distinct engine knocking sound. Having been in this predicament before in another car, I quickly focused in on the noise. It went away as I accelerated, and comes back when I'm Idled/Parked.

What really baffles me on this situation is that normally, when its a piston getting ready to blow, A) The Temp gauge rises dramatically, and B) The noise increases upon acceleration.

I will admit, I am overdo on an oil change by roughly 20,000. My wife 'forgot' to get it changed the day I needed it done, and I never followed up [I was gone on a business trip.] And now that I need my oil done, I realized that fatal mistake.

Does anyone know what this sound is? It is now parked, and the next time I'm moving it is Monday to do an oil change and ATF treatment, hoping that this 'knocking' sound goes away.

Car: 2006 MB E350
Mileage: 112,000

I would REALLLLY appreciate any and all feedback....

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Hello All....

Last night, as I was stopped at a red light I heard a very distinct engine knocking sound. Having been in this predicament before in another car, I quickly focused in on the noise. It went away as I accelerated, and comes back when I'm Idled/Parked.

What really baffles me on this situation is that normally, when its a piston getting ready to blow, A) The Temp gauge rises dramatically, and B) The noise increases upon acceleration.

I will admit, I am overdo on an oil change by roughly 20,000. My wife 'forgot' to get it changed the day I needed it done, and I never followed up [I was gone on a business trip.] And now that I need my oil done, I realized that fatal mistake.

Does anyone know what this sound is? It is now parked, and the next time I'm moving it is Monday to do an oil change and ATF treatment, hoping that this 'knocking' sound goes away.

Car: 2006 MB E350
Mileage: 112,000

I would REALLLLY appreciate any and all feedback....
I would tend to agree with your analysis, you may want to consider changing the oil after 33K miles(assuming there is any oil left)...just to be safe.:thumbsup:

I am also intrigued with the phenomenon you described :
when its a piston getting ready to blow, A) The Temp gauge rises dramatically, and B) The noise increases upon acceleration
Can you elaborate on that?

·
Banned
932 Posts
I will admit, I am overdo on an oil change by roughly 20,000.
Do you want to say that you have around 30000 miles on this oil? I witness GL that run w/o oil change for 20000 and seized the engine. Oil was like jelly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts