Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,669 Posts
Allen,

I'll PM you later. You have exactly the same motor as in my coupe. Off to the hospital for some test now.

Jayare

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
New Chapter to the 300CE

Folks, a new chapter. The car now has around 153k miles.

Starting my beast is becoming an effort and is progressively worsening. Car has a full tune up: oil change, coolant temp sensor, everything related to cooling, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, fuel filter, both fuel pumps, oxygen sensor, OVP Relay, and fuel/air mixture has been Mercedes master technician tuned with precision. No vacuum leaks anywhere. Fuel pressure is not a problem. Even engage the starter I click the key to on position and let fuel pumps build pressure. My fuel economy is right where is should be. Around 18-20 in the city and 23-26 on the highway. No stumbling at highway speeds.

Starting cold takes two tries. First crank fires up stumbles and dies. Second try takes about 5-7 seconds of cranking to get it firing regularly and it still stumbles and eventually evens out. When I step on gas stumbles and it feels like misfire up to 2k rpm.

When the car is up to operating temp and I'm driving along it stumbles and feels like it wants to stall. If I pull up to a stop and roll through and step on gas it stumbles badly.

Also, when at operating temperature and the car is parked and shut off for approximately 5 to 10 minutes it takes 5-7 seconds of cranking to start.

I don't know where else to look. Is the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) causing this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim.

I also got similar responses from other places so it looks like the next thing for me to get done is a new sensor. Apparently, the previous owners have been trying to chase down this cars starting for a while. Gotta love service records. :)

I appreciate the help Jim.

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More than likely the CPS Allen.

Good Luck,

Jayare
The nail was hit square on the head Jim.

I got to it now because I was on vacation with my parents. It took me a while to fish everything through original mounting. Those Germans really chose the most awkward routing of the CPS cable under the intake manifold. I had a few fuming moments when I couldn't get the dang thing out of it's hole! Vice grips and a good twist and tug method got it out. Once out I cleaned out the bore with a battery terminal brush and I greased that new CPS and in she slid. The primary reason I think the sensors are getting stuck in there is because they rust in. I wired everything back together again and boy, she fired up nicely. :D

I haven't heard the car start with the first turn of the key since I've owned it. Now she fires up without a shudder. I treated her to a new air filter and a few seals and it's running like it never ran before. Maybe now I can go about maintenance on a normal routine. :surrender:

Well I'm a happy camper.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,669 Posts
Party on Garth!!!

Thanks for posting the results Allen.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts