Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mate of mine who recently sold his Boxster told me

"the Boxster manual was very specific about letting the engine idle for a minute or two after a drive to take some of the heat out of the engine."

This is not in the SLK manual. I just wondered if anyone does this anyway, and why they do it, or is this just a Boxster thing.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
joyfulheart - 4/26/2005 6:15 AM

A mate of mine who recently sold his Boxster told me

"the Boxster manual was very specific about letting the engine idle for a minute or two after a drive to take some of the heat out of the engine."

This is not in the SLK manual. I just wondered if anyone does this anyway, and why they do it, or is this just a Boxster thing.
I do this because, as I posted previously, I was very surprised when I first got my car how hot the engine was several hours after I parked it. I had parked the car in the garage after some freeway driving and when I went back to the garage about 4 hours later the engine was still VERY warm.

In my Audi TT, the engine fan would keep running after the car was turned off until the engine was cooled down. Strange the SLK does not do the same thing.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
In 1989, when the first Land Rover Discoveries came out, my owners handbook said the same thing - let it idle for a bit, so the turbo will cool down - as my 350 doesn't have a turbo or a supercharger, I just turn it off. The MB manuals make a big thing about the 'Residual Heat' settings for the car heating system.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woolly - 4/26/2005 4:04 PM

The MB manuals make a big thing about the 'Residual Heat' settings for the car heating system.
Wooly:
Now that things are warming up a bit I expect you will be over heating, and in need of some shearing??

Are you saying the residual heat can be used in the heating system with the car off... so therefore MB expects the car to be turned off with the engine hot?

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Evidently, you can use the 'residual heat' seting for over 30 minutes after you've parked up, same as my old (2003) R170.

p.s. youve sussed it - woolly - not coz of my prediliction for sheep, but coz of the hendrix style locks (which for a half brit, half argentinian and half irish) are a little bit worrying!!

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Duo-Art - 4/26/2005 3:47 PM

I thought that maybe you raised sheep. I never assumed that you had a "fondness" for them.

Mel
the two wouldn't necessarily be mutually exclusive...[;)]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts