Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 S420; 2007 S600
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

My engine harness is in need of replacement. Some of the wire insulation is rotting in places or was pinched, pulled off. A number of the plastic plugs have also gotten very brittle over the years and many of the little clips have broken off, including several of the ignition coil plugs, the VVT solenoid plugs, etc.

My question is this: I found a "engine wiring harness" here:
OES GENUINE Engine Wiring Harness,W0133-1716146 - PeachParts

As well as a number of other sites, Amazon, etc. However, in the picture, it does not appear that this harness includes the ignition coil plugs. Only the plugs for the injectors and various sensors.

Is this picture deceptive, and the coil plugs/wires are also part of the same harness? Or are they separate parts?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1999 S420; 2007 S600
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well -

1, the two W140s are in my signature - both '99s. S420 and S500. In this case the parts are the same so the answer would be the same in either case...

and 2, it's actually pretty easy to find your way around partstrain, partsgeek, autopartsway, etc., just using Frugal Mechanic - Auto Parts Comparison Shopping . It compares all the parts sites and pulls back the lowest price. Pretty handy!

I found a generic "spark plug wire set" but that doesn't sound right to me - "spark plug wires" sounds like what's on a distributed car. These cars are coil-on-plug. What I'm looking for is the engine harness that plugs in to the coils, and I'm pretty sure it is a separate harness that's just wrapped together with the injector harness with some tape.

alldata is not providing any useful information on any of this. I guess it's time to poke around EPCNet...

·
Registered
1999 S420; 2007 S600
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strangely, EPCNet is ambiguous about this. There is an "Engine Cable Harness", which is the one that plugs in to the injectors, for the I6, V12 and Diesel motors, but the V8 injector harness is not present.

I also cannot find any reference to ANY harness for the ignition coils! There are a number of cable harnesses under group 54, Electrical Equipment and Instruments, none of which relate to ignition.

There is another set dedicated to ignition cables, Engine major assembly, group 15 Electrical Equipment, subgroup 060 Ignition System, but the first part only relates to distributed ignition (was there even any distributed ignition in W140s by 1999?), the second one shows the ignition coil but not the wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,707 Posts
Strangely, EPCNet is ambiguous about this. There is an "Engine Cable Harness", which is the one that plugs in to the injectors, for the I6, V12 and Diesel motors, but the V8 injector harness is not present.

I also cannot find any reference to ANY harness for the ignition coils! There are a number of cable harnesses under group 54, Electrical Equipment and Instruments, none of which relate to ignition.

There is another set dedicated to ignition cables, Engine major assembly, group 15 Electrical Equipment, subgroup 060 Ignition System, but the first part only relates to distributed ignition (was there even any distributed ignition in W140s by 1999?), the second one shows the ignition coil but not the wiring harness.
I sent you a private message..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts