Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner had removed the fan from the engine and i cant find the bolts to reattach it. anyone know the part to search for a 2000 e430?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, wouldve passed smog but not with out this part lol. i even tried to install at the bolt store next door, but couldnt tighten the bolt head down at that angle and no 10mm socket doh lol every fan blade has a chip in it too, i was just hoping they could pass me to get up to date tags,

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,186 Posts
What does radiator fan have to do with smog ? Your car has electrical aux fans in the front. I recommend that you get new blades and bolts and install the blades to the visco fan clutch. It will reduce the demand for the aux fans when the engine gets hot, or when the a/c runs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
California, they said that they couldnt ok it... so then i barely got on the broke one, and that just made it look worse because the bolts i bought couldnt screw in all the way. oh well, parts will be here by next wed... glad everything else passed. they also pointed out where a wire was slightly chewed under the engine cover, i should probably use something other than gorrila tape right?

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
California, they said that they couldnt ok it... so then i barely got on the broke one, and that just made it look worse because the bolts i bought couldnt screw in all the way. oh well, parts will be here by next wed... glad everything else passed. they also pointed out where a wire was slightly chewed under the engine cover, i should probably use something other than gorrila tape right?
I think that is BS. How can a fan removal affect emissions ? You should install it, but ask them which CA emissions standards that the car failed. And install the proper bolts, and a new fan blade unit. If the old one disintegrates, it will damage many things under the hood, including but not limited to the radiator.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think it was under visual inspection same catagory as the exposed wire.. i was thinking the same thing, that it could cause serious damage. although the clutch on it keeps it from spinning too fast right? he said that the other smog guy would be there today and might pass it... haa, only problem is getting this broken fan off as i dont know if i have a 10mm socket or if it will fit over the bolt as the correct part is ala wrenchable.. maybe some bent needle noses could work but dont have a pair lol great

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,318 Posts
I think you run into technician trying to give you hard time, unless you bought salvage vehicle and had technical inspection.
Smog test visual applies to emission system, not to luxury equipement. That said I drove my E300DT with no engine fan for years, while living in California and going to Vegas for vacations.
Gasoline engine generate more heat, but depends what part of CA you are in, you might get away depending on electric fan only.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
i think it was under visual inspection same catagory as the exposed wire.. i was thinking the same thing, that it could cause serious damage. although the clutch on it keeps it from spinning too fast right? he said that the other smog guy would be there today and might pass it... haa, only problem is getting this broken fan off as i dont know if i have a 10mm socket or if it will fit over the bolt as the correct part is ala wrenchable.. maybe some bent needle noses could work but dont have a pair lol great
Just borrow tools to remove the whole fan clutch from the water pump shaft, and remove / repair outside the car. Else you can easily damage the radiator. Remove the fan shroud, so you have more clearance. Also check the fan clutch and replace it, if it is not up to par.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
I once took a friends 86 Toyota pick up in for a smog test and it passed in emissions but they failed it because there was two openings for a vacuum lines on the carburetor but were not used.

So to play the charade I went to an auto parts store and got some vacuum line and a T fitting and hooked it up to a vacuum line.

as the car gets older I forget the test certification it is but a technician looks in the engine and if anything is not stock they fail it.

A part has to be CARB certified.

now what I don’t understand is I took my 2000 E430 for a smog ( Sacramento) and they just plugged into the OBD plug and determined it passed smog.

and admittedly I haven’t read this thread is intently as I should have but how did you get the car there when the bolts were a problem on the fan blades?

that fan blade comes off and it’ll just destroy the radiator.

hopefully that will be it and not hurt other components.

as others said use the proper bolts and I just tighten them to be snug with a quarter inch drive.

you need a special wrench you can get on eBay to hold the fan blade still.

If The car has a lot of miles on it I would just get a new viscous clutch while you’re at it

well I’ve rambled on enough;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts