Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using merc w124 e220 (1993). My car could start on 11/11. After so many attempts its manage to start but has no power (only 2 cylinder is working). My mechanic ckeck and told me that the chock was not working and replaced, the result is the same. After diagnosed further, the problem was the failure of ecu and substitute it (using other merc's ecu).

i) Can the ecu be repaired.
ii) Can used ecu be bought trough internet (oversea) as the new one quite expensive.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
I don't know of anyone who repairs the ECU but a used part is definitely the way to go. I get them for my 88s and they're only $20 or $25 in the You-Pull-It yards.
Check with local salvage yards (junkyards) to see what they have. First look at the ECU in your car to get the part number. Just make sure that the used part has the same number.
Any idea why your old ECU went bad? They are pretty bulletproof and failures are rare.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know of anyone who repairs the ECU but a used part is definitely the way to go. I get them for my 88s and they're only $20 or $25 in the You-Pull-It yards.
Check with local salvage yards (junkyards) to see what they have. First look at the ECU in your car to get the part number. Just make sure that the used part has the same number.
Any idea why your old ECU went bad? They are pretty bulletproof and failures are rare.
may be you can help me by giving the email address of the junkyards you new of.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,384 Posts
I would highly recommend inspecting and possibly replacing the engine wiring harness. The ECU is not known for failing unless it gets shorted, usually caused by the original biodegradable factory installed wiring harness. Your car falls in the suspect category based on the model year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts