Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes S500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I to get right into it...I wasnt driving it for a while and I come outside and see what I thought was oil on the ground and after checking I seen it comeing from the side of the tranny.....It was the adapter plug(where the O rings goes out in time.....Had it replaced at the shop..($100)..Had fluid replaced...5qts. OK heres the problem now...the car seems to be in limp mode. The guy at the shop said he tried to clear the code but to no aval. The tranny will leave outta 2nd gear sometimes and most the time it wont. I was at the stop light takeing it to him and it didnt even wanna go at all. I shut it down and restarted it and it went into gear. What this sound like to any of you.......That car been in the shop almost a week now...do any of you have any info or someone with familar problems....Thanks

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Welcome aboard, please click user cp and add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's useful information.

The transmission codes (the P07xx are all tranny codes) must be cleared by a proper interface through the 38-pin diagnostic connector under the hood. Carsoft, Snap-on, SDS, etc. Even if you repair the underlying problem, those codes are stored in the TCM and that's the only way to clear them.

My guess is your shop just has a typical OBD-II reader, which won't do that.

I'd suggest you find a different indy that is really geared towards properly maintaining your car.

In the meanwhile, if you're in the state, cruise by an Aamco. They are saying they'll read codes for free, perhaps they will also clear them. They do have the proper equipment to clear it. Typically, unless you already have a good relationship with a shop, they'll charge anywhere upwards of $75 to tie in and clear it.

BTW, if you're over 50,000 miles I'd suggest having the fluid and filter changed anyway. Not at Aamco, but if you're of a mind to do that, please find an indy (indy shop or indy transmission shop that specializes in benz/german cars) and have it done. They'll clear the code for free as part of that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes S500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes but do you think the adapter plug wasnt the only problem that it had.....does it sound like its in limp mode to you?..He's a major foreign Auto repair shop where I live at so I amagine he does have the right tool to clear the codes as he said that he has to use the mercedes code reader to see the code period....which happen to be the same code autozone said was comeing up P0700.........Could the TCM be faulty itself?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Yes but do you think the adapter plug wasnt the only problem that it had.....does it sound like its in limp mode to you?..He's a major foreign Auto repair shop where I live at so I amagine he does have the right tool to clear the codes as he said that he has to use the mercedes code reader to see the code period....which happen to be the same code autozone said was comeing up P0700.........Could the TCM be faulty itself?
We can guess about his diagnostic equipment and get nowhere, but I'd just ask him what he was using to read and clear the code. If he's not plugging into the diag port under the hood, he's not going to be able to clear it.

That said, it is also possible if the leak was that bad that it pushed fluid up the harness and flooded the TCM. Have him investigate that, the TCM can be removed and usually just cleaned up and dried out (electrical cleaner spray is everyone's friend...well, not the atmosphere...).

I just noticed he added 5 quarts of fluid, so that sounds like he dropped the pan, hopefully he changed the filter too while he was there.

Good luck with it. These cars are great until something goes haywire. ;)

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes S500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks a whole lot Iam going to ask him to do those every things and ask him did he plug it into the port under the hood...thanks again and surely Ill keep u posted on what happens.....They sure are alotta fun till something goes wrong!:crybaby2:

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,663 Posts
pls state your location and vehicle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts