Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

I recently purchased a W220 S430 which is my first Mercedes! I'm going to try and do most of the work myself, which is also a first as I have no prior mechanical experience.

First job I am looking to do is tensioner/idler pulleys, water pump, serpentine belt, and power steering pump. While I have all these out I want to clean up the front of the engine. This might be a stupid question but do I have to worry about water getting into any of the bolt holes if I were to flush the area with a sprayer? The water pump one seems like the most obvious where its a bad idea and I could probably leave the one in place?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,209 Posts
For decades I wash my engines every few months to keep them clean. Plain water on WARM engine is all it takes.
Once whole engine is free of gunk, any repair becomes a pleasure. :)
Avoid direct spray on electronic modules, but they seem to be well sealed and never had a problem. Alternator can take good water spray just fine.
Now using water on open electronics can get tricky. Youtube shows a video how 6 people die in airplane crash, becouse the plane was pressure-washed without capping the sensors.

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
69 Posts
  • Yes dont wash or spray engine I speak from a very costly experience on my inline six 3.2l.E320 water and soap can get into more than just bolt hole s there's wiring harnesses and electric connectors/ plugs and coils and PCM / ECU Computer. Really just use lint free cloths and apply your cleaner to cloth and hand wipe your engine clean and apply a plastic rubber preservative coating. Even if you cover up top parts of engine and wash engine you can still have problems if you plan on working on your own car get a service manual and good set of automotive tools some of them need to be specialized MBenz tools for certain jobs good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses. Let me clarify my question: I want to take the pulleys off and then wash the are while the pulleys are off, meaning that the bolt holes will be open. My question is do I have to worry about getting water into those empty bolt holes.

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
69 Posts
Most pulley wheel are solid with bolt holes to connect it. If really dirty soak in Gunk and then wash off should clean out holes making it easier to assrmble. Any parts as long as not electrical or gas or diesel like injection glow plugs fuel pumping unit or power steering units or brake fluid units any anything that water will compromise their operation.

·
Registered
68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
4,209 Posts
I'm not really sure why you want to replace all those items other than the belt.

Just dont spray anything electrical. Simple green works very well - better than gunk and costs way less. water in bolt holes will not cause any problems at all.

You should head over to the W220 section where they will know your car very well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts