Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 190E 2.3L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Does anyones 2.3 chatter just off idle? What I mean by this is that at idle the engine sounds normal, on take off(light acceleration) for 200-200 rpms there is a noticable chatter heard. Does anyone else have this or do have a problem?

CC

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
You have a problem.

With the hood up, have someone else start the car and listen for the source area for the sound. I would suggest starting at the front, timing chain area, first. It could be that you have a worn chain tensioner. If it's not there on start up, try moving farther back, towards the valve train, and it could be a sticking hydraulic tappet.

·
Registered
87 190E 2.3L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The chatter is coming from the front of the engine. It can only be heard just off idle for a brief rpm range. Is the chain tensioner easy to replace or is it a big job?

CC

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
On the 2.3L it's an easier job than on the 2.6L, but you will have to remove the serpentine belt and possibly the alternator to get access to the tensioner. It can be a DIY, but it does take some time.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,193 Posts
CCWHEEL - 4/5/2005 12:37 PM

Hey all,

Does anyones 2.3 chatter just off idle? What I mean by this is that at idle the engine sounds normal, on take off(light acceleration) for 200-200 rpms there is a noticable chatter heard. Does anyone else have this or do have a problem?

CC
CCWHEEL,

Before investigating the timing chain tensioner, look at the Serpentine Belt Tensioner Shock. I had the same problem on take off and finally discovered it was a worn bushing on the belt tensioner shock where it mounts at the alternator bolt. I replaced the belt tensioner shock and no more chatter.
When I went to the Mercedes dealer to purchase a new belt tensioner shock, the parts guy said "you must be hearing chatter noise upon take off".

Good Luck, and give us an update.

Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey CC, what did the problem end up being? Did you ever get it figured out? I think I'm hearing that same chatter and I'm trying to figure out if it's something I can fix on my own, or is it something that I have to leave to the mechanics hand.

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,730 Posts
slk230red - 4/7/2005 6:35 AM

CCWHEEL - 4/5/2005 12:37 PM

Hey all,

CC
CCWHEEL,

Before investigating the timing chain tensioner, look at the Serpentine Belt Tensioner Shock. I had the same problem on take off and finally discovered it was a worn bushing on the belt tensioner shock where it mounts at the alternator bolt. I replaced the belt tensioner shock and no more chatter.
When I went to the Mercedes dealer to purchase a new belt tensioner shock, the parts guy said "you must be hearing chatter noise upon take off".

Good Luck, and give us an update.

Dave
I, too, had a worn bushing on my belt tensioner shock, that was causing chatter. I picked up a new (used) shock at a bone yard for $10, it took less than 5 minutes to replace, and now I'm chatter free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one that seems to be doing the same thing..upon observation of the pulley under the chatter condition it dances quite a bit. I tried to stabilize it by pushing on the arm with a large screwdriver to no avail. I will try a new (used) shock and let you all know what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts