Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 108cdi vito, 1973 beetle
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I haven't been on this site for 12 months since our 2000 108cdi died with the black death.(if anyone smells fumes in their cab-- check the injectors immediately!) I damaged the head trying to remove injectors and it's a sorry tale, was going to crush it! A year later I have located a motor for sale and am thinking of a motor change so I can get it going. My multiple questions for anyone having done this are: Is it a feasible option for a home mechanic to do and what are the major pitfalls? I am buying it from Sydney and transporting to Perth, can anyone tell me the weight of the motor alone? My hobby is old vw beetles and I have never had the problems with them that I have had with this Vito! My motor was sound and going well until the black death struck so am hoping to combine two to get a good one, is there any tips for preventing injector leakage in the future?
grateful for any tips, advice (I know, buy a vee dub! apart from that!)
cheers, Neil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Judging by the nil response I guess no one has attempted this at home, maybe a simpler question: when replacing the injector clamp bolts would it be advisable to use a copper based anti-seizing compound?
regards, Neil

·
Registered
106 Posts
Don't know enough about diesel engines to answer you, mate, worried about giving wrong info.

Copper anti-seize should be a good idea to prevent binding and corrosion between metals at high temperatures. I've used it on things like new valves, on spark plug threads, even wheel spacer bolts. Works like a charm.

As for your two engines into one, without knowing any specifics - why not? Give it a go and see where you end up. It's definitely feasible if you do the research and are able to follow workshop instructions. Add the spare time and space, and prolly also a good hoist to lift the engine block in and out - and a place to put it while working on it, and the tools, and a mate or two to keep you company, and enough beer... then you're all set! 8)

Take pics along the way and keep us posted. We can all learn from your efforts - gluck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Prossett, scary thing for me is the codes and errors I anticipate as I have no access to computor for fix 'em but mechanically I am not fazed by it as I hope to swap the head and injectors etc only. Just towing it with Bug to get into shed!

Attachments

·
Registered
Vito 3.0 V6 Silver
74 Posts
I did mine last year in a friends workshop, I had ramps and the code reader, I would never do it again, it was a flipping nightmare of a job. The only good thing about it was I changed all the waterpump and starter motor while I was doing it, I had to use a slide hammer to do the injectors. Fault codes were constantly coming up and without the reader I would have been stuffed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts