Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission on my 230TE is knackered, but I've managed to find a good donor car. It's a 230E with only 46K miles on the clock. The body is quite badly rusted but mechanically it seems pretty solid and the interior is really good (if a bit dirty in places). I'm going to swap the engine and transmission into my TE and sell off most of the other bits. I'm in the process of removing the engine, which seems to be pretty straightforward, and I'm thinking about the jobs I should do at the same time as the swap. So far I've thought of the following:
  1. Replace all radiator hoses
  2. Replace engine mounts and transmission mount
  3. Replace shifter bushes
  4. Replace water pump and thermostat (no reason to suspect this is needed other than the fact that the car is 35 years old and I've no idea if/when it was last done)
  5. Replace prop-shaft flanges
  6. Replace all fluids, fan belt, plugs and filters
  7. Give the engine and engine bay a good clean
Anything else anybody would recommend doing while the engine is out?

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,651 Posts
Master cylinder and brake booster could be easier to access. Heater hoses. Anything steering related.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here in South Africa I decided to rebuild the head and block as parts worked out quite cheap. Now I have an engine that’s only done 500 kms!
The myth of engine longevity relies on good maintenance: no maintenance, expect premature failure......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a longer term plan to change the engine for something a bit more powerful and it seems pretty sound so probably won't get into engine work at this stage. Heater is a good shout as I seem to have an issue with mine. The outside dash vents blow warm but the two central ones don't. Unlikely to be anything on the engine side of the bulkhead, but worth poking around while the engine is out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts