Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hows it going haven't been around here for a while since I bought a vw new beetle, but anyways my 84 2.3 that is a manuel and has very low miles will die every once in a while after i push in the clutch and the rpms drop. usually the rpms drop and bounce back up except the times when it just dies and I am stuck restarting it the middle of an intersection. I am guessing it is some sort of air of fuel problem but am not sure(any ideas are welcome).So does anyone know if and where there are fuel or air adjustments I could tune to keep this from happening.
Any help and ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Nathan

· Registered
Mercedes 28E 1993 (W124)
119 Posts
heres some suggestions

Im only a newbie at this sort of thing but here goes.

Check basics like mixture, timing and plugs.
Give the idle control valve a clean with kerosine (i mean submerse the whole thing in a bucket of kerosine then allow to dry... This can be the culprate of many idle problems. I had a problem with idle so i cleaned this valve and it fast idled when it was cold! yea! hehe Umm other things could be a fuel pump / relay. Although if it only does it when load (pushing the clutch in) is removed i wouldnt think it would be this. Mixture and the idle vavle are you best starting places, oh and the OVP

cheers

josh

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the info Josh! I was begining to think nobody knew anything about this sort...

Hey thanks for the info Josh! I was begining to think nobody knew anything about this sort of thing(even though I know there are). I'll give these things a shot and see what happens.
Thanks, Nathan

· Registered
Mercedes 28E 1993 (W124)
119 Posts
no worries! dont hesitate to ask for more help

when u push ur foot on the clutch and the load comes off does the engine rev up then die? or does it just die like some ones pulled the plug? that could help narrow the problem if none of my suggested things work

good luck

josh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.