Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that gas treatments are bad for Benz's. I used to get a can of the regular stuff with my Honda: engine oil cleaner/stabilizer, gas treatment, injector cleaner, etc.

Is it safe to use these products or should just stick with oil changes and full tanks of gas?

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi there

you can use injector cleaner , i always drop in every oil change i use STP injector cleaner. even gas treatment but dun always use it . once a year . for oil i dont advice

·
Registered
25 Posts
You dont really want to use any type of engine additives, cleaners, or treatments.
As for gas or fuel injector cleaning I think the only one thats is ok by Mercedes standards is Techron.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Chevron adds Techron to all grades of gasoline, so there's no need for additives. Probably all of the majors like Shell and Conoco blend similar additives with their fuel as well. Fuel from a grocery store or generic source likely will not include additives, so an occasional bottle of Techron might be worthwhile. In addition to cleaning fuel injectors, Techron also takes care of carbon deposits. I had a BMW 633 years ago that was running rich, and I was too busy with work to get it taken care of. I used Techron on a regular basis, and the shop manager told me afterwards that he fully expected to have to de-carb the head by pulling it and blasting it with crushed walnut shells. He indicated amazement that he didn't have to. Apologies if I seem to be a tout for Techron, but the experience has been good.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I like to run a bottle of Techron through sometimes, but do it shortly before an oil change as it will dirty up the oil a bit. I've had good results with it reducing upper engine carbon on older engines and suspect it will do the same on Benz engines.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Above all, make sure you are using the MB Spec'd Authorized Synthetic Oil.
This is huge and should not be understated.
German engines are "sensitive suzies" and don't like Oil that does not help
out that specific Engine or Tranny. The Oil that meets the Specs are extensive
so it's not like your going to have to Special Order anything.
I use Mobil 1 0W50.

Of course Engine Additives are good. Synthetic Oils, by their Nature, their Factory Design HAVE Additives in them! Tons of additives.
I'm sure all the smart asses here already know that.

If you get Water in your Gas Tank, do the smart thing and put a Bottle of Water Remover in your Tank to Remove the Water! If you listen to these Folks they'll have you believing ALL/100% of every additive in the world is harmful.

If your MAF is dirty, clean it with MAF Cleaner.
I am a dedicated Chevron Techron man, but Texaco is owned by Chevron and it has Techron.
Hess is BMW Certified. Plus other major players have additives.

It's a bunch of rewashed, regurgitated nonsense that additives are bad.
Pull out your Owners Manual and you will see that MB even authorizes it.
Of course they push their own product, but you can see it is authorized.
They even authorize non-MB, but MB-approved products.

Pay attention to your specific Owners Manual and Maintenance Schedule and
stay on top of it. You should many good years of memories.

I have read that gas treatments are bad for Benz's. I used to get a can of the regular stuff with my Honda: engine oil cleaner/stabilizer, gas treatment, injector cleaner, etc.

Is it safe to use these products or should just stick with oil changes and full tanks of gas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a note: I added 5 ounces of Lucas fuel injector cleaner to my 2002 c240 and it bucked like a bronco until the tank was rid of it. After a couple of months, I asked my Mercedes mechanic if this additive was harmful and he said no, that it must have been some other issue. I added again and the same thing happened. Anyone else have similar experience?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I add 7/8 of a small bottle every Gas Tank Fill Up, for I dunno, maybe 5 years or so and Never once had a pause, hesitation or any blip on the Radar Screen.
Lucas Products are fantastic.

Just a note: I added 5 ounces of Lucas fuel injector cleaner to my 2002 c240 and it bucked like a bronco until the tank was rid of it. After a couple of months, I asked my Mercedes mechanic if this additive was harmful and he said no, that it must have been some other issue. I added again and the same thing happened. Anyone else have similar experience?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Additives

The bucking could be due to a need for spark plugs- do you know what the mileage intervals should be before new plugs should be installed? I was assuming 100,000 miles- c240 has 95,000 miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts