Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(pictures at the end)

Hello everyone!

The last couple of months I'm having a serious problem ... my SLK 200 is acting up ...

What happens, is that my engine keeps on having serious Performance lags:

While in Idle the car is in 800 rpm and keeps on fluctuating between 400 - 800 rpms (sounds and feels like the car's out of breath) (If I tip the gas pedal for as little as one inch it takes only about 3 seconds and the car turns off)

While driving (when I choose my cruise control, for instnace 80 ... I keep on getting random performance legs (the car suddenly slows down and picks up it's like the car is not getting enough petrol, air or it's missfireing... (maybe dirt is covering the Pumps filter in the Petrol tank?)

I bought the car used from Mercedes approved used cars in 2007 (November) and have had this problem 2 months after... Check eingine light came on and I gave it to service to fix it, (they changed "some tubes" no clarifications OR parts have been shown to me!)

no after almost a year later and 40k km .. it happened again, so I gave it again to service and they said the same darn thing! ("some tube" again no clearifications or parts)

Then .. suddenly 3 weeks ago (almost a week after I got it back from mercedes .. it's happening again, only now ... I got a little MORE problem!)

The car is running great when it's cold! but when you drive it, first it get's a little hotter than before and a part in my engine is just going CRAZY ... I recorded it on a video and I hope I can show it to you guys .. what happns is, that something there (I marked it red in the picture) is CLICKING like crazy ... it sounds like a relais or something .. but it goes straight nuts! "click click click click click click click" I don't want to bring it to mercedes because they'll tell me "some tube" .. and I'm seriously annoyed by their customer service!

(when I push gas the clicking seems to disappear, but back into idle it comes back!)

What do you think and I hope this is not a $100000 fix... cuz I'm SERIOUSLY broke right now!

Thanks in advance,

-Alex

P.s.: what does this part do anyway? is that the Petrol pump? or is the petrol pump in the gastank?

Here's the Video

Pics

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm new to these cars, and that engine in particular isn't available in the US in the R171 so I can't even look at mine to guess what that part is, but judging from the location of the part I'm going to guess anyway that it's an idle air stabilizer valve (or a similar device). I can't imagine that clicking would even be normal.

Does it have a cover that opens up? (It's hard to tell.) If so, open the cover and see if anything in there looks like it would be clicking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to open it .. but I'm afraid liquids will just blow out!!!

I was thinking the device was an Air thing, but Whenever I start the engine I can see a semi transparent tube behind it where a liquid runs through, and judging from the Color of the tube it looks like a petrol tube ... I DO see bubbles though so maybe there's a Vacuum problem... you know between petrol pump and petrol valves... sort of misfires...

anyway.. I'll wait for more answers and we'll see thanks for the "Holiday Inn Express" answer though ^^

Have a great new year and thanks again!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oooh ok if you know there's a tube with fluid, don't open it up then. I didn't see/notice that from your pics. I was guessing some sort of air valve due to its location on/near the air intake but looks like I called that one wrong.

I took a look at mine anyway (SLK 300, 3.0L V6) and I do have a black box sort of thing in that area but mine looks a little different. On mine it has a cap on top and a hose coming out of it and appears to be some sort of fluid reservoir (maybe P/S fluid?) though, so I guess that doesn't help diagnosing yours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts