Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to get rid of old 300E and my Porsche and combine into one GT coupe - BMW 6 series. I was so close to ending my 17-year old relationship with my 91 300E (198K miles) the other day. My license plate starts with 2.

But decided to keep the W124 and upgrade my Porsche instead of combining multiple cars into a BMW 6 series. I think MB and Porsche make a great combo. Much sought-after 500E engines were partly built by Porsche. Other Porsche owners were suggesting that I replace the W124 with a more practical used Scion or Honda Element as a workhorse and a DD after getting a new Porsche. No way those cars can replace my W124. I kinda got used to some simple repairs like the window & seat switches. And after H & R springs, Euro 500E headlamps, Euro tail lamps, I don't think I could ever end this long relationship. I see lots of other nicer heavily modded W124s in here, but I love mine.

Having multiple cars is definitely a chore - insurance, service, car washes, etc. Everything has to be done twice. But it's worth it. It is the W124 that allowed me to get sport cars like the Vette and the Porsche. I decided to keep the W124 until I give it to my grandkids and see if it can go up to 1 million miles. I still use it as a DD. I call it the tank.

Learned one thing from this long term relationship: Take good care of the car, and she will take good care of you.
Cheers and long live the W124.

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
i dont think i have agreed with someone more on this forum then the line stated above.
Yep... so true.

I had a 1988 Jeep Cherokee that was NOT well maintained since new. I bought it in 2002 and had it for 4 years.

He NEVER let me down... both on and offroad. I loved that Jeep and took good care of it. All he had to do (and did) was to take me from A to B without breaking down.

:D

With my 3 W124 I have had the same luck... so I suppose its because I do pay attention and take care of them.

:cool:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly if you've gotten 15 years out of any car, you should tap the car on the hood, and donate it to some car charity fund or something.
LOL You only got two years to go before you tap your car on the hood. But I don't think you'd be williing to donate that fine looking car of yours. I'm keeping mine.

Nice to hear from you vili1982. That's one of the best looking ride. Heavily modded but with class. Well worth the money since these cars will last decades.

Cheers

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well worth the money since these cars will last decades.

Cheers
God I hope so. I have so much work to do...blower motor, bad ground, engine mounts, short somewhere, need to service....I got a lot of work ahead of me.

Love how the car looks stock w/clear corners, very clean.

BTW I've always wondered who the girl in your avatar is :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
"Learned one thing from this long term relationship: Take good care of the car, and she will take good care of you."

Even if it did breakdown once in awhile, i aint letting go of my W124..
These are the type of cars that take you home no matter what.. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts