Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a 75 450 SL less than a year and am in the process of familiarizing myself with the emmissions control systems. I have two questions: <br> 1) It appears some of the components have been removed or rendered inoperative by the prior owner (EGR control valve, catalyctic converter(s), more ?). Will this cause any operating problems or engine damage that I need to be aware of ?(the car does not need to pass an emmissions test in my state)<br> 2) The air/smog pump is making noises that sound like eventual bearing failure. Do I need to replace it or is it OK just to disconnect it ?<br> The car runs well in spite of these things.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disconnected Emmissions Control Equipment

Chris, I have owned a '76 450 for 9 years and the air pump belt was off and EGR plugged when I bought it. This car runs great. I installed an MSD ignition amplifier that made a noticable difference in faster starts, smoother idle, and a couple mpg but that is probably because the engine has 304,000 miles and compression is down to about 140 psi. I have always had connecting things back up again correctly on my 'to do' list and will be interested in what others might say about this. Anybody... should Chris disconnect his air pump and I remove the converters or would these cars run even better if thing were hooked up right and working?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Disconnected Emmissions Control Equipment

On my 83 380, the air/smog pump bearing was failing. I removed the belt and have not had any problems. When smog test comes around, I will have to replace.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts