Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understand it, the DriveClean regulations now are such that only cars 1987 or earlier are exempt from emission testing. It used to be that when they were a certain number of years old, they were exempt, but now all cars from 1989 on have to be tested.

Something to consider when buying a used SL - 1988/9's will always require testing - Not a huge problem, but $39 every two years plus the trouble of going having it done.

Originally, vehicles under 4,500 kg (cars, SUV, light trucks) and over three years old (and up to the 19th year) required an emission test every two years before the vehicle's owner or lessor can renew its license plate. Starting with 2006, the test exemption was increased to five years, while the rolling exemption at 20 years ended, and all 1987 and older vehicles became exempt.[1]
My local garage once hooked my '72 to their Driveclean system and did a training run test (not official). Surprisingly it passed with flying colours!

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
What standards did it pass, Graham?
The relatively-lax ones in effect for its year?
Still, fairly amazing nearly 40 years later.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
As I understand it, the DriveClean regulations now are such that only cars 1987 or earlier are exempt from emission testing. It used to be that when they were a certain number of years old, they were exempt, but now all cars from 1989 on have to be tested.

Something to consider when buying a used SL - 1988/9's will always require testing - Not a huge problem, but $39 every two years plus the trouble of going having it done.

My local garage once hooked my '72 to their Driveclean system and did a training run test (not official). Surprisingly it passed with flying colours!

A lot of locations are eliminating their rolling exemption laws. California originally had a rolling 25 years or older version. Then somebody realized the lost opportunity for fees and certificates. Now for an older car you're almost guaranteed a biannual "test only facility" notification in addition to the annual registration renewal, while new cars are excused from inspection for the first five(?) years. Gotta make that up somewhere...

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
Emission (tax grab) testing in Ontario is a joke.
It's a waste of an hour and a half of my life and $40 odd dollars.
And usually a gas cap.

And the best part is,,,,,,,,,my SL that SMELLS like a big block Chevy at idle is exempt while my 4 year old Honda will pass with flying colours........(except for a gas cap, of course).

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What standards did it pass, Graham?
The relatively-lax ones in effect for its year?
Still, fairly amazing nearly 40 years later.
It's hard to know what stanards they were using. They do have to enter the car type, but there was no Driveclean for 72 cars (they never did require testing).

This is what the report said:

Code:
[B]40km/hr[/B]
                    Limit                  Reading              Result
HC ppm               242                   51                    PASS
CO %                 1.92                  0.14                  PASS
NO ppm              2520                 668                     PASS
                     RPM                  1678                   VALID
                     Dilution             11.11                  VALID
[B]Curb Idle[/B]
                    Limit                  Reading              Result
HC ppm              500                   222                    PASS
CO %                  4                     0.71                 PASS
NO ppm               N/A                 N/A                     N/A
                     RPM                  731                    VALID
                     Dilution             13.83                  VALID
Much of other stuff was not applicable because of lack of cats etc. Passed Gas cap pressure test!

What I was looking for, was confirmation of the %CO figures. I had used was a kind of primitive exhaust analyzer to set car up, plus some tuning by ear and smell ;) But luckily, the idle %CO was well within the 0.5-2.0% that MB specified.

Right now, with full time wideband AFR I have the mixture set a bit richer because these old cars just seem to run a lot better that way.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
It's hard to know what stanards they were using. They do have to enter the car type, but there was no Driveclean for 72 cars (they never did require testing).

This is what the report said:
Those are amazing readings for a car without any kind of emissions controls. Congrats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts