Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drove my partner to work this morning about 12 miles, as usual. waited in the parking lot for an hour, then, all of a sudden, my car will not start.
not a battery problem for sure. key turned to start position and it will shake but just won't start. tried couple times, even with the help of stepping on gas, but it just won't start. the final "throaty sound" won't come.
please advise. i do not want to tow it back; i want to at least get it started so that i can drive it back.
a little background: recently three days, we heard twice that somewhere in the front made a pretty loud sound like lots of air suddenly coming out. also, i used mid grade fuel just last week. have always used premium.

cannot upload video in here! otherwise i would have put on the video, but i will try youtube first and link it here.
please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
the air sound is normal its the air pump blowing air into the cats, using 87 octane in a high compression motor on the other hand could cause some problems, but from what your describing it sounds like your not getting any fuel to the engine could be a very badly clogged filter or a dead fuel pump, also dont keep cranking it or the battery will be dead very quickly.

·
Registered
1995 mercedes S420
228 Posts
man , it could e anything. u will have to check the spark plugs and wire, see if wires are firing . try to spray start fluid that will help u know if the pump is bad. and make sure the car is not gas flooding ,i seen ppl have that problem.
i had the same problem where the car wont start, the problem was injector harness
good luck and we will be waiting for the video .
try to ask nhzruthless , hes really good http://www.benzworld.org/forums/157840-nhzruthless818.html

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here is the video:

just got it towed home. had it checked by a mechanic, saying that the ac pump is not working when the car is being started. that part of belt isn't moving. i checked fuse 18 and 20, which are both ok. any other thing i could do instead of taking it to a shop? thanks! thank you guys so much for the replies.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
here is the video:
w140 won't start, hear the sound and help me - YouTube

just got it towed home. had it checked by a mechanic, saying that the ac pump is not working when the car is being started. that part of belt isn't moving. i checked fuse 18 and 20, which are both ok. any other thing i could do instead of taking it to a shop? thanks! thank you guys so much for the replies.

check your fuel pressure regulator. try blowing air through the hose of the Fuel pressure regulator

here is a perfect picture i found online blow through the vacuum hose in the pic and see if it starts up. also no gas should come from the regulator or the vacuum line. this is very common on these m119s

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/w140-s-class/354841d1296611238-photo-diy-fuel-pressure-regulator-r-4.jpg

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
ok so it does sound like its getting fuel but it sounds like the starter is not turning the motor quick enough to run, the mechanic said th ac compressor pully was not turning? it could be seized, and that could be what is causing the problem.

·
Registered
1995 mercedes S420
228 Posts
here is the video:

to me, sounds like the battery is bad. i know its working but its not giving enough power .

·
Registered
1995 mercedes S420
228 Posts
here is the video:

to me, sounds like the battery is bad. i know its working but its not giving enough power .

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
It doesn't sound like it's firing to me. I would give it some fuel through the intake (starting fluid or some gasoline squirted into the intake, whatever you want to use) and see if it fires and runs for a second. If it does, then it's not getting fuel. Could be fuel pump or fuel pump relay. If it still doesn't fire, it would appear there is a spark problem.

Brett

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,639 Posts
AC compressor working or not has nothing to do with starting the engine , take the airfilter of ,add a little petrol into the big hole there (maf ) , if it starts & then stops then you have a fuel delivery problem, for sure .
Why when you crank the engine the sound for the "headlights on" turns is on ? ,turn the headlights off before starting the engine otherwise the batterie wont last at all .
If you would'nt have mentioned that you checke't the fuses ,i would have said it was the petrolpump fuse ,RECHECK ,lol . :thumbsup:

Metholated Spirit does the trick as well if you dont want to get petrol over your hands or the smell of it .

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
Like iris said the car started and reached the destination but it would not restart in an hour. The thing that you can rule out is the battery. In my opinion it does sound fuel related same thing has happened to me at least 2 times first time i gave up after an hour and went to class and came back about 10hours later and it started up perfectly. Second time it happened i had a air compressor and blew air through the fpr vacuum hose and it started right up.

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like iris said the car started and reached the destination but it would not restart in an hour. The thing that you can rule out is the battery. In my opinion it does sound fuel related same thing has happened to me at least 2 times first time i gave up after an hour and went to class and came back about 10hours later and it started up perfectly. Second time it happened i had a air compressor and blew air through the fpr vacuum hose and it started right up.
should i blow air before starting it or while starting it? also, since i don't wanna keep trying to drain my battery; it just got replaced not long ago with mercedes factory battery, so hope i still have a healthy battery left to try out these things.

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AC compressor working or not has nothing to do with starting the engine , take the airfilter of ,add a little petrol into the big hole there (maf ) , if it starts & then stops then you have a fuel delivery problem, for sure .
Why when you crank the engine the sound for the "headlights on" turns is on ? ,turn the headlights off before starting the engine otherwise the batterie wont last at all .
If you would'nt have mentioned that you checke't the fuses ,i would have said it was the petrolpump fuse ,RECHECK ,lol . :thumbsup:

Metholated Spirit does the trick as well if you dont want to get petrol over your hands or the smell of it .
i didn't have any lights on. the lamp failure indicator light keeps lit on the dash. the fuel pump relay fuse is also under the hood on driver's side as well? you are right; i have not checked that yet. will do.

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so it does sound like its getting fuel but it sounds like the starter is not turning the motor quick enough to run, the mechanic said th ac compressor pully was not turning? it could be seized, and that could be what is causing the problem.
right. the ac pump isn't working; the part of belt on it isn't turning.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
Is anything turning on the front of the engine when you crank it

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
checked the fuel pump replay fuse in the trunk. it did start but there is the sound of belt tightening like crazy, and the smell of burning electric items. also, it is rough and shaking as hell, so i turned it off.

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
check your fuel pressure regulator. try blowing air through the hose of the Fuel pressure regulator

here is a perfect picture i found online blow through the vacuum hose in the pic and see if it starts up. also no gas should come from the regulator or the vacuum line. this is very common on these m119s

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/w140-s-class/354841d1296611238-photo-diy-fuel-pressure-regulator-r-4.jpg
trying to locate it, since what is under the hood for my car is very difficult. i could not find it...

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
If the AC pump is not turning and every thing else is, then it seized up and the small is from the serpentine belt you have go to slip the belt off and check that pump to see if you can turn the pulley

1 - 20 of 46 Posts