Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2005 S55 AMG
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a bit of an emergency because my windows are stuck down and I can't get anything in the car to work.

My car has been sitting for weeks, on a battery tender, while I wait to fix some ABC issues. Out of the blue, the alarm starting going off, but in a very whispered/wet speaker kind of sound. It has sometimes done this, but not for weeks and I can stop it by unlocking and locking. That didn't work this time and the alarm had a mind of its own, even though it's been sitting untouched int he driveway for weeks. I even started the car and had it running, locking and unlocking it. In a panic to get the noise to stop, I rip apart the front left fender lining, find the alarm, and since I couldn't get the plug off, I just cut the 3 wires to the alarm. The car instantly shut off and the alarm stopped. I have since learned that the internal battery to the alarm likely has gone bad. However I can no longer get my car to do anything. The key doesn't lock or unlock anymore, the ignition doesn't recognize the key (display says key not recognized) and I can't roll my windows up either.

I can still open and close the trunk via the driver door switch and from the exterior trunk switch, but again, the key does nothing. I have swapped the key battery out with no effect, even though the key was working seconds before. I've checked every fuse in the engine bay and the fuses under the back seat and all of those have continuity. At this point my car is dead with an open window and I can't do anything. From what I have since read about the alarm going bad, it doesn't seem to result in the car going into total lock down when removed.

The car battery is ok because it's been sitting on a tender and started right away when I first when to figure out the alarm going off. Is there a way to reset the whole car and security system? I've disconnected the trunk battery as well without any effect.

I'd appreciate any immediate help available, Thanks!

W220 Moderator
Hi,

You have blown a Fuse, I couldn't tell you which one from memory but it will very likely be one in the Left Front SAM / Fusebox, (Left is as sat in the Drivers Seat facing forward) ;)

Take a detailed photograph of where all the Fuses are as soon as you take the Lid off the box, and definitely before pulling them one at a time to check ...............

If you don't Photo it and you misplace one you will simply cause a whole load more grief for yourself ;)

HTH

Registered
Maserati Quattroporte, CL600, S500, BMW 330cic, E65 BMW 750LI. Dodge Ram
Why would cut the wires? You could have just unplugged the alarm horn/siren. You鈥檙e gonna have to rewire the alarm too?

This cars complicated systems are mostly connected. I hope you get it back working again

Registered
2005 S55 AMG
Discussion Starter #5
And buy a new alarm
Siren from the Mb dealer and reconnect the wires , before you replace the fuse
Got a new one on the way already. Thanks

Why would cut the wires? You could have just unplugged the alarm horn/siren. You鈥檙e gonna have to rewire the alarm too?

This cars complicated systems are mostly connected. I hope you get it back working again
It was a mess of a night. I had been enjoying my evening, drinking, when the alarm suddenly went nuts. The previous times this has happened, it was easy to stop, but not this time. I hurried to get the fender liner off, in the dark, buzzed, with the alarm going off in my face. Coudn't get the plug off the alarm with it still attached to the bracket, so I went for the quick and easy cut. No harm though, I can get that all back together easy enough once I find the bad fuse.

Thanks all for the help and quick responses.

Registered
2005 S55 AMG
Discussion Starter #6
Update for everyone.

First of all, thanks for the responses. I had forgotten the 3rd fuse box on the passenger side. The blown fuse was in there and the key was recognized and the car started right up after changing that.

I've got a new alarm to put in once I get to the store for a nut, because of course, it attaches to the bracket differently.

W220 Moderator
I had forgotten the 3rd fuse box
Thanks for updating :)

Ah yes, just to clarify, your Car, (Facelift Model), has that, (it's actually the 4th Fuse Box, but I'm not nit picking) ................

Just to make it clear for owners of the earlier W220's, the Pre-facelift Cars don't have a Dash Fuse Box, so that Fuse will be in the Left Front SAM / Fuse Box ;)

HTH,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts