Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C240
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my problem.
This morning I had some battery/Alternator warning on my malfunctions. I was out of town on business all day so I stopped by a local mechanic to check the alternator and the battery. They said the alternator was fine because it was pushing 150 amps no problem but the battery would not hold the charge. BTW the battery is 1.8 Years old. Called Roadside assistance and they said it was the voltage regulator. Then I went to Costco because it was on the way home. Battery died. Waited about 30 min then it started. Drove about 23 miles drop off a friend and then the car died while I was driving. Now is parked at a gas station. Any inputs before I shell out $300 for a tow to the nearest MB? Tried jumping the car but seems to have no effect. The car seems like it’s turning over but not firing. Please Help Thanks.

Ok after reading some post and i googled some stuff it looks like it might be my alternator or voltage regulator. Maybe both. My question is if i take my battery out and charge it can i at least make it the drive home on battery power? Less than 10 miles. There was power when i tried to come back later lsat night but no luck starting it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
Here is my problem.
This morning I had some battery/Alternator warning on my malfunctions. I was out of town on business all day so I stopped by a local mechanic to check the alternator and the battery. They said the alternator was fine because it was pushing 150 amps no problem but the battery would not hold the charge. BTW the battery is 1.8 Years old. Called Roadside assistance and they said it was the voltage regulator. Then I went to Costco because it was on the way home. Battery died. Waited about 30 min then it started. Drove about 23 miles drop off a friend and then the car died while I was driving. Now is parked at a gas station. Any inputs before I shell out $300 for a tow to the nearest MB? Tried jumping the car but seems to have no effect. The car seems like it’s turning over but not firing. Please Help Thanks.

Ok after reading some post and i googled some stuff it looks like it might be my alternator or voltage regulator. Maybe both. My question is if i take my battery out and charge it can i at least make it the drive home on battery power? Less than 10 miles. There was power when i tried to come back later lsat night but no luck starting it. Any suggestions?

Call Mercedes. 100% of ALL Mercedes, get Free Towing. Regardless if your the Original Owner, bought it used or whatever else you can imagine.
It's FREE TOWING.
Alternator testing is a no brainer. You bench test an Alternator, Battery, Starter
DO NOT replace these because someone "feels"...Yep, that's it.
It is either defective or not. Don't let them guess with your hard earned money.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Haha, the only thing free about calling the MB roadside assistance is the toll free number, not that it matters from a cell phone. They charge for towing. There is small amount of work that they will do for free like change a flat tire. They will install a battery for free if you pay for the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You do free towing through Mercedes. The catch is you have to get towed to the nearest dealer/authorized service center.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It doesnt seem as though your battery is the cause of the car not starting as you said it will crank but not start.
I have heard that jump starting is a bad idea as it can break some of the electronic modules.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
MB will tow your car for FREE to the nearest dealer/auth. service center... I have used this on my 300CE

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
Haha, the only thing free about calling the MB roadside assistance is the toll free number, not that it matters from a cell phone. They charge for towing. There is small amount of work that they will do for free like change a flat tire. They will install a battery for free if you pay for the battery.
Yes agreed. But the actual Towing is for free.
If a battery needs outright replacement, of course, I don't expect anyone else
to pick up the $$ funding for this.
Their service is no different than AAA.
If you call AAA and they replace Battery, give you fuel or any extra's, you will
get the Bill for it.

It's nice, when your in an unknown, unfamiliar area, Whom do you call?
Nice to flip down your visor, call the Number and know for sure someone will
be along shortly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I just had this same exact problem this weekend and I had to be towed home.Car turns but not over.I checked the fuse box in the engine compartment next to the master cylinder and it turns out that a blue 15 amp fuse towards the front of the box was blown.I replaced it and the car fired right up but it IS giving still me the same UNDERVOLTAGE/CONSUMER DEFECTIVE WARNING it did before it died on Wednesday.I just put the battery on a charger and it was low so I guess the next step is to check the voltage regulator per this DIY link advice before I replace the whole alternator.See if that helps before you pay for a tow. WikiAnswers - How do you replace the alternator on 2002 Mercedes C230

·
Registered
2002 C240
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it was a 14amp fuse for me too. I think its my alternator but i am going to take the whole thing into a autoparts store and get me a lifetime alternator for $300 vs a MB brand for $800. I am going to remove the Voltage regulator and have them test my alternator while i am there. Hope it works. My car has been good to me for the past 6 years besides some minor electrical problem. This just sucks because i just washed it and its now starting to get hot here in Seattle. Havent been able to drive it since Thursday. :-(

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
It's nice, when your in an unknown, unfamiliar area, Whom do you call?
Nice to flip down your visor, call the Number and know for sure someone will
be along shortly.
I did that once, called them on New Years day for a flat tire via TeleAid, took about 20 min to make the call, they said they would come out. I got bored after 15 minutes and called AAA. AAA came in about 20 minutes, spent about 30 minute trying to figure out how to change the flat (C-Coupe with deflated spare) and I was on my way, during that whole time, MB never came or called back. So would I depend on MB roadside assistance or Tele-Aid, never, to me it's a totally useless service, more of a marketing gimick. Maybe in your area it works, in So Cal it's just marketing.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,126 Posts
Yeah it was a 14amp fuse for me too. I think its my alternator but i am going to take the whole thing into a autoparts store and get me a lifetime alternator for $300 vs a MB brand for $800. I am going to remove the Voltage regulator and have them test my alternator while i am there. Hope it works. My car has been good to me for the past 6 years besides some minor electrical problem. This just sucks because i just washed it and its now starting to get hot here in Seattle. Havent been able to drive it since Thursday. :-(
I just replied to your other thread...you're on the right track.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c-class/1374020-anyone-diy-their-own-alternator.html

I've always had AAA. I have what they call the AAA Plus.
They'll tow me up to 100 miles, and it doesn't have to be to a dealer!
75 bucks a year I think.

If it's over 100 miles, they'll tow to a service facility, and pay for a hotel till it's fixed!

I've never had to be towed in my c230. Yet.
But I do plan ahead, do all my maintenance and then some.

·
Registered
2003 C230k, 2002 SL500 silver arrow
4 Posts
I did that once, called them on New Years day for a flat tire via TeleAid, took about 20 min to make the call, they said they would come out. I got bored after 15 minutes and called AAA. AAA came in about 20 minutes, spent about 30 minute trying to figure out how to change the flat (C-Coupe with deflated spare) and I was on my way, during that whole time, MB never came or called back. So would I depend on MB roadside assistance or Tele-Aid, never, to me it's a totally useless service, more of a marketing gimick. Maybe in your area it works, in So Cal it's just marketing.
i very much disagree with you on what you just wrote and quite frankly that experience you had doesnt really speak for the broad population who actually use this service, i have used them several times for an older...85 S class, and they were always there, in all fairness they sometimes take a while just like any other roadside would, you have to put into consideration how many other customers they cater to though and no I personally dont think its a "marketing gimick" they actually do help people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts