Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have long commute (60 miles one way, from Costa Mesa, CA to San Bernardino) to school twice a week. Anyhow, I got in the car as usual around 9:30 pm after class.

Driving out of parking lot, then I realized that brake was rock hard and car did not stop. I barely stopped the car with parking (foot) brake. Unfortunately enough, my AAA expired about a week ago and haven’t renewed yet (what a coincidence). So, I made a call to MBUSA roadside assistance and they send me a tow truck driver. MBUSA roadside assistance said a car will be dropped tomorrow morning at the nearest dealership, which is Walter's Auto Sales and Service, Inc. in Riverside.
And I got home by a cab.[v]

Can anybody tell me what is wrong with my brake? As far as I know, pads are not due yet.

And I know there’s little bit of leak in power steering pump, and I was gonna take care of it at next service. But does it have anything to do with brake failure?

I’ll figure out tomorrow morning, but I want to collect your precious opinions ahead.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, the car has 221k on the clock.

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,464 Posts
Hi B/D,

If the brake pedal seemed normal height or higher than normal height and was solid as a rock, I expect a problem lies with either the brake booster or the vacuum feed line to it.

I have heard of the vacuum line failing, causing loss of power assist, so that would be first on my list.... if the pedal was up there.

If the pedal went down and was unresponsive.... then that is something else and likely a warning lamp would have lit on the dash, which you did not mention.

Cheers, MBL

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
44,119 Posts
I had a similar experience with another make when the brake booster acted up. It felt like trying to brake with your engine shut off.

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
RE: Update

Tell the service advisor to keep fixing those brand new, plastic Benzos and keep dreaming about yours.

Honestly, they charge you all that money and then want to buy the car from you? I hate dealerships.[:(!]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I replaced mine (same part, different model) for roughly $40, shipping included.

May drop by Walter's MB next time, that's where my car came from. I'll go ask them if they remember my car (my grandma/pa drove it before me) so I can ask if they know the car's history aside from what my relatives know.

You're lucky it happened in the parking lot. It might have also been triggered by the drop in temperatures, rubber seals become cold and hard and won't seal as much, especially for one that's been on the car for a while.

Ask the dealership if they are willing to trade your car for a new one (your choice). [:D]

·
Registered
560sel
122 Posts

I don't know if you should sell the car, but you should be inspecting the car for thing that could leave you stranded. One thing I suggest is the voltage regulator. It has brushes, when they wear down without warning call the cab.

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts

JEFFMG1 - 4/9/2006 6:39 AM

I don't know if you should sell the car, but you should be inspecting the car for thing that could leave you stranded. One thing I suggest is the voltage regulator. It has brushes, when they wear down without warning call the cab.
I agree. Just changed mine recently. Good thing I was within driven distance to the house![:I]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts