Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 06 e350 I made a stop a few minutes ago and depressed the emergency brake as I parked the car, and there was no racheting feel to it,...just smooth. The normal racheting feel is now gone. Am I making sense here? The emergency brake still holds,...but it is smooth now when depressed.
A few weeks back it was "sticking" when I resed the emergency brake,...and had to depress it a couple of times and release, before it would release correctly and the relight would not come on, saying that the brake was still on.
I'm sure that whatever hapened today is related to the initial sticking from a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks for any advice.

· Registered
2007 E350 4Matic, "Flintgrau Metallic", Sport, P2, Leather; '78 911SC, 1.8TBeetle . . .
107 Posts
No idea, but I will say that I don't think you are imagining it, as our 2007 developed the same thing a year or so ago. It still functions fine as an e-brake so I've not dug into it. But the ratcheting effect has disappeared.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow,..how strange is that? I just kinda feel a little insecure now,..like something is "broken". I will be interested in hearing other imput from others as well. I suppose if I knew what made the "racheting" feel as I was setting the brake, I would better know what happened. Cable?

· Registered
2007 E350 4Matic, "Flintgrau Metallic", Sport, P2, Leather; '78 911SC, 1.8TBeetle . . .
107 Posts
Whatever it is, it is not the cable, as the brake sets and releases properly and holds properly. I would guess it is a small pawl and ratchet tooth assembly that merely provides the "clicking" sound and feel that we associate with setting the brake, but which do not actually hold the brake in the set position. It has not bothered me enough to dig into it further or look at the parts on the DVD or Startek online resource. Now, if it DID affect e-brake holding, I would be right on it. Lots of people never use the e-brake and simply let the automatic transmission do the job - hard on the transmission and not as safe, especially on a sloped surface. I always use it, regardless. Even more important in a manual trans car.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Henry. Yep,...as long as the brake functions correctly I guess it is no big deal. I'm sure if I took it to the dealer that I would be looking at a bill of 500.00+ for "repair. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.