Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300SL
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired a 1991 300 SL. It has had the soft top down for many years and has the hardtop on when needed. At some point before I got the car the trunk had a lot of water in it. The drains were stoped up. It had sat unused for 2 or 3 years. I have put a new battery in and the windows, top and roll bar are not working. For a very short period of time (1 or 2 weeks) they all worked and then went off. I’m wondering if I have a ground issue or a greater problem. Does anyone have a thought as to where to start looking for the problem.

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
917 Posts
Check the hydraulic pump in the spare wheel well, under plastic cover in trunk (under spare wheel). Also check fuses in trunk.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,212 Posts
...the windows, top and roll bar are not working.
The component common to all three is the roof controller located in the storage compartment behind the right-hand seat. In addition to what Rob mentioned check fuse #6 in the main fuse box under the hood. Also, when you you turn the ignition key on check to see if the light in the roof control switch illuminates briefly for about a second as an indication that the roof controller has some functionality.

·
Registered
1992 500SL
3 Posts
I second what robm said. Under the tire is the pump and reservoir assembly, which is a low point of the trunk, so water would collect there first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts