Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1985 380 SL, 2009 E350
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning in NJ, I drove my 300D during heavy downpour which if I had realized would be as bad would never have taken my w123. During the height of the rain, I maxed the blower (fan) for cooling, had lights on then switching to max speed on wiper suddenly found it just stopped! Drove 10 mins with no wipers and somehow managed to see enough not to hit anyone or anything. it was when I thought of switching off lights, blower and radio that I was able to get the wipers back. Got radio and headlights back together with wipers and just left fan off to be safe.

I've never experienced this issue? Does anyone know an explanation and can recommend easy fix?

While driving I thought moisture seeped into fuse box or I blew a fuse, but after getting everything to work upon parking the car I ruled this out without checking fuse area.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
You ought to check the Fuse Box and also make sure the Drains in the Front are cleand out so that the water can get out.

It is a good idea to pull the Fuses one at a time and check the tips and where the Contact in the Fuse Box.
Get rid of any Fuses with Plastic Bodies.
What is said on the forums is that best Fuses have Ceramic Bodies with Copper, Next best is Ceramic body with Brass Metal.

·
Registered
1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
1,418 Posts
I'd open, inspect and re-seat the wiper connector on the firewall. I recommend this for all connectors on older cars. Especially the one on the alternator. May be best to pull the alternator to do this. When I did mine it looked very bad and I could not have cleaned it with the alternator on the car. The spring connector for the regulator/ brush assembly was very bad too. This will give you a chance to inspect the brush length and slip rings also too.

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1985 380 SL, 2009 E350
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate both suggestions. A number of my fuses are still the old plastic ones and will be replaces. Will also check the wiper connections this afternoon. Unfazed, drove my w123 again to work today but with beautiful weather. Figured it would also be good to dry out the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts